Could Live Rock Die??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maffia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have at least 100# of old live rock about 5 yrs old. I have had it for 6 months now and have treated them with care. I am unsure of how the old owner took care of them. I have no growth on them with the exception of one polyp patch on all of them. What if anything should I do to restore life to them?? Or will life just come back in time.

Has the rock been out of water and dry for an extended period of time?

I personally have not left it out of SW, but I am unsure of what the old owner did with it.

If no color exists than you may need to seed this rock with some good live rock. Any amount will help but the more the quicker it will transfer.

If you check the link to www.garf.org they have what is called garf grunge which is a LS that you can use to seed your tank. It is suppose to have several types of coralline scrapings within it. This may help to get the color and beneficial bacteria you want.

Just placed an order for 10 lbs of the garf grunge, snails, and hermit crabs as Janitors. Very nice people there and very helpful. I will have it on Tuesday.

What do you expect to be growing on the rocks in my question?
Not all LR has stuff growing on it, ie. corals, algaes, polyops......
LR grows bacteria and is hiding places for critters, coralline algae. Just because you dont see anything growing on the rock does not mean its dead.

Thats what I do not see. Critters, Coralline algae, nothing is there at all. I would think after six months I would something. I also have had above normal nitrates, now matter how many water changes I do. There is only 2 hermit crabs, 2 cleaner shrimp, and one jawfish. This is why I was thinking my live rock is dead.

Back
Top Bottom