Crack in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelTheGreat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was cleaning the glass on my 29 gallon tank (30”x12”x16”) and I noticed a 1.5 in scratch/crack towards the top. It is only on the outside, so its not all the way through. Should i be concerned? How can I fix it?IMG_5051.jpgIMG_5052.jpg

I think coralbandit might be on to something there. I'd take a razor blade over it to see if it'll come off. If it is a crack, I'm guessing unless it gets worse it probably won't be an issue. If it's a crack I'd take a sharpe and make a mark at the end of it so you can see if it is getting any longer.

This actually reminds me that I noticed I had a small crack in one of my tanks after I got it all setup, cycled and fish in it....:facepalm: I made a mark, and it didn't get any bigger for months, then I forgot about it until... now. lol :whistle: I'll have to see if I can find it again, but about 4 years later I haven't had any issues.

I think coralbandit might be on to something there. I'd take a razor blade over it to see if it'll come off. If it is a crack, I'm guessing unless it gets worse it probably won't be an issue. If it's a crack I'd take a sharpe and make a mark at the end of it so you can see if it is getting any longer.

This actually reminds me that I noticed I had a small crack in one of my tanks after I got it all setup, cycled and fish in it....:facepalm: I made a mark, and it didn't get any bigger for months, then I forgot about it until... now. lol :whistle: I'll have to see if I can find it again, but about 4 years later I haven't had any issues.

I could feel the indent, so im sure its not silicone. Thank you though for your help, when I get home I will mark it to see if it grows.

my dog loves to watch the fish so he jumps up resting his front paws on the glass he left a deep scratch in the glass used some dura bond gel filled scratch now you cant see it unless you really look for it. another trick I heard rub candle wax over scratch to fill than buff it out

When glass fractures it's not a clean line usually. Its off at an angle and very obvious. More like a shear than a straight cut if that makes sense. It will also push to one side. There will be a high side and low side on either side the split.

I was cleaning the glass on my 29 gallon tank (30”x12”x16”) and I noticed a 1.5 in scratch/crack towards the top. It is only on the outside, so its not all the way through. Should i be concerned? How can I fix it?View attachment 306134View attachment 306135
If you can feel it with your nail on the inside and outside, I'd be concerned. If it's just 1 side, I wouldn't. I have a 10 gallon that has had a stress crack on the front bottom corner for a while now. Still in use! I feel the crack on the inside but not the outside. Gotta love Walmart tanks! I just used a marker and marked where it stopped and just keep an eye on it.

Dollar per gallon sale at Petco, not sure if it is still actually a dollar per gallon but cheap enough if you find you need a new tank. (40G breeder great tank size, in case you need an upgrade) ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom