cracked 65 gallon - need opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugwinkle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up my two used 65 gallon tanks & stands this past weekend. I know they were fine when we picked them up cuz they had water in the them and he was just emptying them when we arrived. We filled them up and the one was cracked so we had to empty it.

We think it cracked because we didn't put any styrofoam down. The reason I didn't was because I was told by someone else that we didn't need to use the styrofoam with the metal type of stands. Anyway, I contacted the guy I bought them from and he agrees that it probably cracked cuz we didn't use the styrofoam. We did use the styrofoam on the one cuz the foam was pretty much melded right into the stand so rather than removing it we just put the same tank right back onto that styrofoam.

So, the guy that I bought them from told me not to worry and that he would come and patch the crack. He said he has done it many times with lots of tanks and they never leak.

I'm just wondering if you feel this is a safe option or should I be throwing this tank away. The crack is not that big, maybe about 2 inches and it's right in the back corner of the tank on the tank floor glass.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I think if the crack is less than 3-4 inches a glass repair can work, but I just don't know. Being on the bottom it is going to really take some stress. What are your stocking plans for this tank? Maybe heavy rockwork is not going to be the best thing for it.

Two 65 gallons....drool......

Overstocker said:
imo, tanks are to cheap to take a chance on a cracked one.....

Well I would agree with that except that these tanks were custom made so I would have to buy all new glass for the top as well. That seems to be where the money is. I would prefer to fix it if possible.

Maybe you can go with the fix and fill the tank with water, leaving it outside for a few days or a week to make sure the leak is sound and that the repair remains unchanged during that time. Then I would feel more comfortable to bring it in and load 'er up.

TankGirl said:
Maybe you can go with the fix and fill the tank with water, leaving it outside for a few days or a week to make sure the leak is sound and that the repair remains unchanged during that time. Then I would feel more comfortable to bring it in and load 'er up.

Well I have talked with enough people now that have been in this hobby for many many years and I'm feeling very confident about the fix. I will be putting it back in my kitchen/dining area after the fix, filling it with water, but won't be adding any fish for at least a week.

Please excuse my ignorance. :oops: I've never used styrofoam before. Is it just to make the base more even to prevent uneven stress? What type of styrofoam should I use and where should I get it? I ask because I noticed today that I have a leak in my 55 gal I was about to fill. :cry: Side question: can I just clean with acetone then put new silicone over the existing silicone in the leaky spot? Will it adhere, or do I need to strip it?

jcogliano said:
Please excuse my ignorance. :oops: I've never used styrofoam before. Is it just to make the base more even to prevent uneven stress? What type of styrofoam should I use and where should I get it? I ask because I noticed today that I have a leak in my 55 gal I was about to fill. :cry: Side question: can I just clean with acetone then put new silicone over the existing silicone in the leaky spot? Will it adhere, or do I need to strip it?

I'd suggest you do up a seperate thread for your questions so everyone gets an opportunity to see your questions. I didn't actually do my own fix. I had a guy that has been in the hobby for several years come and do the fix. He cleaned it well then used a piece of glass and aquarium silicone. The fix has worked wonderfully. As for the styrofoam, you can get it at your local home hardware type stores. Yes, it's to prevent uneven stress.

Back
Top Bottom