cracked glass tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I replaced the short Paine on my 125 gallon. It was kind of a mess but its not that difficult. Bring the broken glass with you so they can match it and also take the measurements so they have it. I think mine only cost about 25 bucks plus the cost of aquarium safe silicone. It was well worth it. Oh and make sure you let it dry for 24-48 hours.

Lol I'm struggling not to be annoyed or upset but it is hard. I was so excited about this.

Anywho .... the bottom piece is boxed in by the four walls of the tank. How to I safely remove this? (Keep in mind short lol)

All of the glass shops around me are closed on Saturday. That stinks. Monday they will be open BUT I leave for my cruise on Monday. *whine whine whine* I will also ask them their suggestions on this situation.

I know I am neither the first nor the last to have a large cracked tank with a massive crack; but I'm so frustrated I cannot think straight.

Lol I'm struggling not to be annoyed or upset but it is hard. I was so excited about this.

Anywho .... the bottom piece is boxed in by the four walls of the tank. How to I safely remove this? (Keep in mind short lol)

All of the glass shops around me are closed on Saturday. That stinks. Monday they will be open BUT I leave for my cruise on Monday. *whine whine whine* I will also ask them their suggestions on this situation.

I know I am neither the first nor the last to have a large cracked tank with a massive crack; but I'm so frustrated I cannot think straight.

You should safely remove the existing silicon with a razor blade and pull the glass off the bottom I would think flip the tank upside down after your strip the inside of silicone and then support the rest of the sides when. You flip it over and remove the outside silicone and be careful pullin the bottom off as the other sides could fall have a helping hand if possible it is do able and not impossible I've done it

+1

Exactly how I would do it. Just try and got slow and don't force the glad out. It will crest pressure on the other panels and then you will have an even bigger prob. Good luck on the cruise!

Do you guys think since the old bottom is boxed in, the new piece should (with the tank upside down) sit on top? Meaning a larger piece would be needed? So when upright all sides sit on top of the bottom rather than boxing it in?

Did you say X-BF?!? :(

Seriously, I was just kidding !!!

#1 It was free
#2 You can find a new free tank, with every one downsizing, there will be another great find out there...
#3 You are going on a cruise in a couple days

#4 Value people above stuff, even fish stuff

#5 That sounded like a heavy tank, maybe it woulda failed since moving it loosens the seals, and, he just saved you 125 gallons of water on the floor....well maybe

You should safely remove the existing silicon with a razor blade and pull the glass off the bottom I would think flip the tank upside down after your strip the inside of silicone and then support the rest of the sides when. You flip it over and remove the outside silicone and be careful pullin the bottom off as the other sides could fall have a helping hand if possible it is do able and not impossible I've done it

With the bottom being boxed in can I razor blade inside to remove the silicone there or just remove inside and out side ?

+1

Exactly how I would do it. Just try and got slow and don't force the glad out. It will crest pressure on the other panels and then you will have an even bigger prob. Good luck on the cruise!

Thank you!! It is my first one ever! I'm excited about yummy food!

Do you guys think since the old bottom is boxed in, the new piece should (with the tank upside down) sit on top? Meaning a larger piece would be needed? So when upright all sides sit on top of the bottom rather than boxing it in?

Not sure why the tank wasn't built like that to begin with. I'm certainly willing to put the sides on top of the bottom. Lol

Seriously, I was just kidding !!!

#1 It was free
#2 You can find a new free tank, with every one downsizing, there will be another great find out there...
#3 You are going on a cruise in a couple days

#4 Value people above stuff, even fish stuff

#5 That sounded like a heavy tank, maybe it woulda failed since moving it loosens the seals, and, he just saved you 125 gallons of water on the floor....well maybe

Of course you were just kidding. I'm no saint though.. I firmly believe I have every right to be upset. It hasn't even been twenty four hours yet. Lol if I leave someone I've been with for over four years over a free fish tank I would need some serious help.

Awesome thanks doll. I've been reading a few articles here and there... some seem to suggest that the sealant available at home depot etc will not be strong enough for this amount of pressure. Thoughts?

That does look super easy. Guitar string and a hobby knife! Once I speak to the glass shop we should be good to go

bigbanker said:
With the bottom being boxed in can I razor blade inside to remove the silicone there or just remove inside and out side ?

Thank you!! It is my first one ever! I'm excited about yummy food!

Not sure why the tank wasn't built like that to begin with. I'm certainly willing to put the sides on top of the bottom. Lol

Of course you were just kidding. I'm no saint though.. I firmly believe I have every right to be upset. It hasn't even been twenty four hours yet. Lol if I leave someone I've been with for over four years over a free fish tank I would need some serious help.

Awesome thanks doll. I've been reading a few articles here and there... some seem to suggest that the sealant available at home depot etc will not be strong enough for this amount of pressure. Thoughts?

Use GE 100% silicon 1. It's aquarium safe. I used it when my 125 had the seams blow out of one of my corners. Haven't had any issues.

Good to know.

Called one glass shop Monday before we left. It will be 240 to replace the glass the sheet of glass.

Talked to my bf about it. We are thinking just get me a new tank. Will call other places Monday.

Lastly. We went snorkeling and diving! All I can say is how amazing!!! So many fish. It helps you realize you CANNOT keep many fish without impacting a bazillion things... their quality of life being one. A six foot tank is NOTHING compared to a real reef.

I can't help but add that I think a new tank is the prudent choice. My tank was 55 gallons and when it exploded, in addition to the loss of fish life (many went down the heating duct into the furnace!) I had an indescribable mess. The tank was replaced for free by my horrified LFS who apologized profusely. But the bill from the fire/water restoration people? Ouch. They did save my rug though. The bill from the gas fireplace people who had to fix it? Ouch.

Better safe than sorry! Take it from someone who had about half the flood you would have if, heaven forbid, a 125 failed.

Billbug68 said:
I thought of that too, but still seems too risky... It's up to you if you wanna try that and let it water test outside for a few weeks. I still say its best to do it right the first time.

A few weeks ago there was a thread about a broken center brace on a 55. I said to order a whole new trim piece and replace it(only 15$ plus shipping) Someone else suggested a DIY fix with a metal brace. Well his tank cracked a few days later. Now a perfectly good tank was wasted.

There's still 4 good sides to your tank. Fix it right, the first time, or call it a loss. It really won't be that hard. If you want some help on the process, just ask.

Her* tank cracked a few days later, it was me. I'm never diying anything that holds 450+ lbs of water again. Especially since my husband is no help with water clean up...

I vote buy new tank, and list that one on Craigslist free for pick up to someone who has worked with glass repair or who can use it for dry critters, free juju is good :)

Lastly. We went snorkeling and diving! All I can say is how amazing!!! So many fish. It helps you realize you CANNOT keep many fish without impacting a bazillion things... their quality of life being one. A six foot tank is NOTHING compared to a real reef.

Where did you dive?

Thanks for the input guys! Called another glass shop and they quoted $150. I can deal with that. . .

A part of me thinks new tank and the other part says just take a couple of months and rebuild. I'm so torn!

Back
Top Bottom