Crayfish Tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco11771

Aquarium Advice Freak
So guys...just interested to see your crayfish setups! hehe so many Betta tank threads and thought it would be fun to see anyone else's crays and setups, plus it may be helpful for anyone thinking about getting a crawdad!

Here's my setup, this guy doesn't have a name but he did come from the wonderful state of Georgia from the wonderful SM,
Electric Blue Crayfish - YouTube

Sorry about the quality, and before I get grilled out about the TB's, my 29g cracked so everyone is in new homes but no one can take my 4 TB's so....they wont be in there long term and the cray is well fed and ignores them.

Well I don't have a pic of him in my tank, but here is one petsmart was going to kill because he came in on accident. I adopted. I chose to acclimate him to the water over a few days.

Nice cray, yeah I wish pets art and such could get them in once and a while but yet they probably would t take care of em.

My cray lives in my display tank and loves to dig up my live plants he will be moving to a different tank soon. He isn't super blue at all

ForumRunner_20120412_212909.jpg

There are a lot of different crays.

I personally like the dwarf cajun cray. It gets to be about 1.5 inches, and is suitable for a smaller tank, along with the CPO crayfish.

Yours is blue, signifying it isn't a dwarf species and should be kept in a larger tank.

They're opportunistic feeders. The bigger ones will kill fish, so I've heard.

MABJ said:
There are a lot of different crays.

I personally like the dwarf cajun cray. It gets to be about 1.5 inches, and is suitable for a smaller tank, along with the CPO crayfish.

Yours is blue, signifying it isn't a dwarf species and should be kept in a larger tank.

They're opportunistic feeders. The bigger ones will kill fish, so I've heard.

I agree, however I found certain large fish have a craving for fresh crawdad. You have to be careful with what's already in that tank. My first cray was about 6inchs. He got hollowed out by my Midas after Wong tank mates for months. Lesson learned from a bad experience.

Very true.

If you have space for a 6+ inch cray,

Marbled Cloning crayfish are a cheap way of infinite live food for fish.

This is my smaller rusty thats currently in a 29gal growout tank for mbunas. He's been holdin his own against some nastys!

ForumRunner_20120413_014419.jpg

ForumRunner_20120413_014523.jpg

ForumRunner_20120413_014558.jpg

Cichlid Kid said:
This is my smaller rusty thats currently in a 29gal growout tank for mbunas. He's been holdin his own against some nastys!

With some pinchers like that, I don't doubt it! Lol

Definitely be careful with stocking a crayfish tank. I've heard that some fish love to mess with crayfish when their at their weakest-when molting. I've also heard that a pack of kuhili's killed off a crayfish during his molt.

Can my cpo's be with dwarf cory cats? I have 12g nano tank.

Cpos are mean but slow.

It's iffy. I'd say only if it's an open ground and if it's a big tank.

EMAN12 said:

They are fish safe AFAIK. They will try to catch stuff, keep them well fed by target feeding to reduce aggression. Hiding places are essential for safe molting as well. A soft Cray can be a fish snack.

robertleepatton said:
I want a crayfish for my 20 gal but I have mollies dragon fish pleco catfish and shrimp with snails

If it is a Dragon Goby MOVE it !!!
The Goby will eat anything that fits in its mouth and they get BIG and have Big mouths !!!

Larger Crays will attack your fish. Dwarf Crays might be a Goby snack.

What is the Latin name of your "Dragon Fish "?
Picture ??

Definitely be careful with stocking a crayfish tank. I've heard that some fish love to mess with crayfish when their at their weakest-when molting. I've also heard that a pack of kuhili's killed off a crayfish during his molt.
That's not typical kuhli behavior. I've kept a group of kuhli's with bamboo and vampire shrimps and have never had any issues. They actually hide in the kuhli's cave when they molt.
I've kept CPO's with false julii cories and had no issues. Still, I'd be a little hesitant keeping them with the tiny guys. A mature CPO a bit larger than a mature habrosus cory.
I want a crayfish for my 20 gal but I have mollies dragon fish pleco catfish and shrimp with snails
I think you are going to need to address some stocking issues with this tank. Most plecos get too large for a 20 gal, as do mollies. Dragon gobies get way too big and are brackish water fish that shouldn't be kept in freshwater tanks. If you want to keep your fish safe, larger crays should be kept by themselves or with others of their own kind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom