Creative filter ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishKeeprWanaBe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to do something cool with my 20 long and 40 breeder by filtering them in the same system. I have 2 ideas my first on involves a rack which will have the 40 on top, 20 in the middle and sump on bottom . Then i will use an overflow system so that the 40 overflows onto the 20 and the 20 overflows into the sump and then pumped back up to the 40. My second idea is to put my tanks right next to each other with the 40 Being slightly higher then the 20. Then i want to take a section out of the side of the 40 so that it kinda water falls into the 20 then the 20 overflows into the sump and then pumped back up to the 40.

Please let me know what you think of my ideas and let me know if you have any ideas. I just want to do something a little different as a summer project so I’m open to anything

You could drill the back of the tanks and use some bulkhead fittings and PVC plumbing to accomplish the stacked, multi-tank on a single sump design.
Regarding the drilling, it makes a difference if the glass is tempered or not (others might want to chime to expand on this).

Just overflow both to the same sump.
No advantage to feeding the water from one tank to the other IMO and likely a chance for incident relating to combining flow from both....
Not to mention the flow for both would be equal which might not be appropriate depending on stocking ? Common thought is a 40 might like more flow then a 20???
You could use 2 pumps from same sump or just make a manifold for one pump to return to each tank...
I would not link the overflow to another tank myself..

Back
Top Bottom