critters in my shrimp tank (ID?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
One thing I've learned in keeping dwarf shrimp in fish-free tanks is there are various little critters--ranging from worms to nematodes to all sorts of other things--that often get eaten in fish tanks but can suddenly thrive in a tank that is free of fish.

I recently bought some plants online and about two weeks after getting them, I saw some hydra in my tank. While these normally are not a huge issue, in a shrimp tank they are because with their stinging tentacles a hydra (some can get up to 1/4" in size) can overpower and kill a baby shrimplet.

The other thing I've found is 5 or 6 of these critters that I *think* may be juvenile damselfly larvae. However, I've looked online for pictures of those and usually the pictures I see are creatures that are much longer & thinner in body shape than what I have. (The picture below is the largest one I could find, and it is only not even 1/4" long). Anyone able to help me ID this beastie? I've pulled a bunch out already but my gut tells me there are more of them lurking, so I need to try to figure out if this is going to be a serious problem or not.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• hydra.jpg
    hydra.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 70
  • damselfly.jpg
    damselfly.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 69
I did some more poking around, it apparently is a dragonfly larva. So very similar to the damselfly, but dragonfly larvae are shorter & fatter (like mine). Same sort of lifecycle, same sort of predatory behaviors. So a real threat.

Looks like I'm stuck keeping an eye on the tank and pulling them out as I see them... :shock:

After reviewing the link I posted, you're right :lol: it does look much more like dragonfly larvae than damselfly.

Good luck. I suppose any fish large enough to eat those would also be a threat to the shrimp.

One on the left is a hydra. They can sting and eat baby shrimp. I would get rid of them as you see them. You can kill them with an antibiotic but I just can't remember the name. So I'll get back to you on that.

Back
Top Bottom