Cross breeding Molly/Guppy/Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I am thinking of getting 4 guppies for my 20 gallon tank. I understand that i should have more females than males as they get harrassed by males for breeding. I prefer the look of the males so was thinking of just getting 4 males.

However, i have read that guppies can cross breed with mollies and indeeed platies. I have a female of each, will the male guppies harrass the female platies and mollies or is this ok?

Thanks!
Henry

Hey henry, I have 1 female molly an a male guppy I have had a few guppys in with her and they have been fine :)

I've read that platies are too distantly related to guppies and mollies (which are more closely related) to be able to breed. Mollies and guppies can, but that's just according to what I've read.

Am going to get a few platys and a swordtail, hopefully they won't breed lol

Thanks guys, I'll get the guppies and see what happens... If all else fails I'll put a couple of females in to balance it out..

From what I understand guppies and mollies and breed, and platies and swordtails can bread....

Back
Top Bottom