Cry for help!!! Septicemia - Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jlk said:
Oh boy, I am so sorry, Mumma! I think its time to have another chat with the vet to see what other options you have. Hopefully, he can suggest another more suitable antibiotic. Good luck!!!!

I think the next recommended course of action is an injection by a vet which means paying for a consolation and the medication. I will ring and get a price. For a free goldfish that I've already spend at LEAST $50 on medications and special foods, I'm not sure I can spend anymore money. As much as I love the little fella, moneys getting tight and I have to draw the line somewhere. :,(

chagoi said:
I did not read the replys so if this is a repeat sorry. Salt is a great med (a salt meter is cheap and very handy). Go to fancy gold fish.com buy the book Fancy GOLD fish

I have .3% salt in the hospital tank and am treating with antibiotics a vet gave me.

I think the next recommended course of action is an injection by a vet which means paying for a consolation and the medication. I will ring and get a price. For a free goldfish that I've already spend at LEAST $50 on medications and special foods, I'm not sure I can spend anymore money. As much as I love the little fella, moneys getting tight and I have to draw the line somewhere. :,(

Yes, I agree with you .... As much as we all love our fish, I would draw the line at paying expensive vet bills unless that is a show quality fish ....

Besides, antibiotics may not be effective ... a lot of these internal infections are either viral or mycobacterium (fish tb), neither of which is treatable by antibiotics. People will often try injected antibiotics as a last ditch effort in cases like this, but the success rate is not high.

My suggestion for a "cheap" course of treatment is to use kanamycin, metronidazole & praziquental in combination. This is supposed to be the most effective regime from what I read. We do have commercial food available with that, but you will have to source the meds & make your own in OZ. I will also continue with the salt & heat, and keep our fingers crossed.

jsoong said:
Yes, I agree with you .... As much as we all love our fish, I would draw the line at paying expensive vet bills unless that is a show quality fish ....

Besides, antibiotics may not be effective ... a lot of these internal infections are either viral or mycobacterium (fish tb), neither of which is treatable by antibiotics. People will often try injected antibiotics as a last ditch effort in cases like this, but the success rate is not high.

My suggestion for a "cheap" course of treatment is to use kanamycin, metronidazole & praziquental in combination. This is supposed to be the most effective regime from what I read. We do have commercial food available with that, but you will have to source the meds & make your own in OZ. I will also continue with the salt & heat, and keep our fingers crossed.

I am feeding the metro twice a day still and using the salt and heat. The prazi I am STILL waiting on. They guy I bought it off posted it Friday so I'm hoping it will arrive today. The kanamycin I'm sure I will have to get from a vet. The metro cost $18 for 4 tablets so I'm thinking it will cost around that. :/

Ok take the fish with the sickness out of the water put it in a filtered tank with a little to no light then keep giving medicine do water changes dayly and leave the others alone unless they have it too

Connorgriffin said:
Ok take the fish with the sickness out of the water put it in a filtered tank with a little to no light then keep giving medicine do water changes dayly and leave the others alone unless they have it too

Did you read the thread? That's what I've done. He has been in QT for weeks now.

I am thankful he is at a 50/50; it is better than most fish who suffer from Septicemia, the normal ratio is 25/75 and the 75 is the not so good outcome.
I forgot to reply earlier, treating him with tetracycline for 5 days and a 50% water change can actually improve his health tremendously but check just in case, as this is used if Septicemia is caught early enough

jlk said:
Did you ever get the prazi? Has your vet recommended anything else? I am sorry he is not improving!!! :(

Yes. It arrived yesterday afternoon and I dosed the water. I haven't rung the vet. :hide: I know they are just going to recommend the same thing or an injection.

Back
Top Bottom