Crypts + Excel = Melt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
my 5 gallon at work was doing great...the crypts were growing fast, I had a little algae springing up so I added some micro and macro nutrients, and Excel. One of the crypts melted a lot, and is just now starting to rebound. I hadn't heard that crypts were on the no-no list with Excel; has anyone else had this happen? I'd like to just add Excel to this tank rather than hook up a CO2 bottle, and I really think the plants would benefit from the extra carbon, even with the low light.

And because I'm nerdy and work in a lab, I actually dose with a pipette so I know I'm not overdosing such a small tank :lol:

My guess is that it was just the change in water quality that got the crypt with the typical Crypt Melt. So indirectly the Excel may have caused the Crypt Melt, but once the crypt gets used to excel it should be fine. I use Excel all the time with crypts and have absolutely no problems even when overdosing to get rid of BBA.

Yes, I have had excel melt crypts before. Happened when I first dosed it. Add it gradually, maybe half strength, once they get used to the excel they will be fine. :)

I have had crypt melt with Excel too. Try half-strength at first like the others suggested. Don't move the crypt in the meantime! Even if it melts all the way down to the gravel, it most likely will come back quickly.

I had them melt just because I started dosing Gregs dry fertilizers! I imagine any major change causes them to melt if that can do it. SO in your case it might have been the excel, might have been the dosing or a combination of both. They will come back and if they like what you did they will be much faster growing. All of mine did.

Back
Top Bottom