Curing Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm curing my Silver Dollar from ICH with salt and increased temperature. For last 2 weeks the temperature has been 86 degrees with salt level much more that suggested doze written on the salt packaging. Still, I see some white spots on the fish. How long does it take to cure Ich in general? Am I doing something wrong? Maybe, its not Ich at all?

When I have used that cure it takes usaully about 2 days. You said 2 weeks? It may not be Ick at all.Hmm... :? Is it a fungus maybe?
Sorry I cant help you more.
Good Luck

I would suggest 1st checking the accuracy of your thermometer, and then look into other sicknesses it might be.

The two times I fought Ick with heat, the Ick was gone in two days or so.

If the water is actually 86 degee's the spots should clear up in about 4 days.. but the life cycle is 2 weeks so the treatment needs to continue for 2-3 weeks..

yes, i would continue the treatement and double check your temperature. Becuase the salt alone might take up to a month to work, wherease the heat can work anywhere between 2days to 2 weeks.

Does it look like random salt sprinkles on the fish? the first itme i had ich i thought theyjust had some bubble stuck on their skin from my air curtain.

YOu don't really need that much salt.. actually you can cure with heat alone.

I would suggest 1st checking the accuracy of your thermometer, and then look into other sicknesses it might be.
Water temperature is correct. I'm not positive, but it looks like Ich. The fish is not covered in white spots though, but rather has 1-3 white spots that look like crystals of salt at its body. They disappear in one place and then appear in another. It is really hard to be sure on Silver Dollar, because of its coloration. It would be much easier to see Ich on darker bodied fish.

Back
Top Bottom