Curious about Otocinclus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tosviolation

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a pretty well stocked tank. The algae isnt too bad, but about the time the glass starts to look dirty, I gotta go in and wipe it off. It just makes me wish I had a bigger tank so I could have a Otocinclus school! Is 3 or a 4 a healthy school? Or do they need more like a 6-8 school?

They are good but almost always wild caught. They have a problem digesting silicates, in most fish foods. Most die because the bacteria in their stomachs can't handle the transition. Keep that in mind when buying ottos.

That aside, very nice fish...

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

So I have a pretty well stocked tank. The algae isnt too bad, but about the time the glass starts to look dirty, I gotta go in and wipe it off. It just makes me wish I had a bigger tank so I could have a Otocinclus school! Is 3 or a 4 a healthy school? Or do they need more like a 6-8 school?

Ottos are great! 3-4 is ok. Bigger is always better with these guys as they are TIGHT schoolers. Somebody has a video of 750 schooling. Amazing! To help with digestiin issues I highoy highly recomend driftwood and live plants. How big is tank?

If you are buying otos make sure that they have been in the lfs for a week or more. A month is preferable. They tend to die in droves when they are first shipped in.

I have a 20g right now. It's stocked pretty full at the moment with 6 bronze Cory 7 harlequin rasbora and a honey gourami. But I do think these are neat little creatures.

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 20g right now. It's stocked pretty full at the moment with 6 bronze Cory 7 harlequin rasbora and a honey gourami. But I do think these are neat little creatures.

Dude you have plenty of room for a trio! They hage very little bioload! They may hang with your cories.

I think you have plenty of room! You could add 3-5 more rasboras and probably 6 Otos as well :)
If you don't have live plants I wouldn't suggest them though.

I have some lutea crypt some spiralis crypt and some anachris. Along with driftwood

I have some lutea crypt some spiralis crypt and some anachris. Along with driftwood

I'd say go for it. Try popping in a slice if cucumber every once in a while see if the Otos like it.

Back
Top Bottom