Curious cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am currently getting the pleasure if watching my three albino Cory cats swim back and forth in a perfect row across the front of my tank. They turn around and Dracula, the one I believe was the one I kinda sorta thought I smashed with the net trying to get them all out of the travel bucket (the fish is not harmed, just my sanity), gets a little confused but soon catches on and joins again. Is this a common thing they do sometimes, other than the nimrod Dracula? He seems a little, um, "special".

It's a 10 gallon tank with a flame dwarf gourami also. And three snails. I currently don't have my car. But when I get it back I can look into another friend. Do they normally do this, or did I buy mine from the "short bus"?

Yeah totally! I have seven bronze Cory cats and they all have a personality of their own. They swim up to the top quickly and then back down, they get skittish when they feel footsteps, but they don't always school 24/7.

I've never seen this before. And when Dracula got confused, he would look at me like I knew what to do. I didn't even know what they were doing, let alone what he's supposed to do. I really need to rename one of them. I got Dracula, Lestat, and Lurch. The last one needs a vampire name so he can fit in with his brothers. Lol.

Stupid question: does it mean anything when they do this? Or are they just showing off their coolness?

And apparently with good armor. Stuck the net in to get them out since they had to fall into the saying scared s***less. Heard a nice, loud crunch. Discovered it was Dracula. No injuries to the fishy. He still acts normal, except for a couple days ago when he tried to bury himself. Either that, or he found some candy.

I've never seen this before. And when Dracula got confused, he would look at me like I knew what to do. I didn't even know what they were doing, let alone what he's supposed to do. I really need to rename one of them. I got Dracula, Lestat, and Lurch. The last one needs a vampire name so he can fit in with his brothers. Lol.

Stupid question: does it mean anything when they do this? Or are they just showing off their coolness?

Your Cory actions or mine? The swimming to the top and bottom at high speeds is a sign of optimum conditions I'm told. I house my Cory cats in a 55 gallon though (no judging). I wouldn't worry too much about Dracula, they're tough. I would get a few more if possible, maybe some live plants and hiding places. Then again a ten gallon is limiting.

Yeah they will dig around a lot especially if you have sand. Whenever you need to catch them try to use a collection cup. They can get stuck in nets :(

They get stuck in nets? How? I thought the DG would, but he squirms so much, if he was stuck, he would lose a feely whisker whatchamacallit. I'm not too worried about Dracula. I just find it funny that now Lestat won't leave his side AT ALL. It even looked like they kissed each other a minute ago. Made me laugh.

I was meaning the sudden lining up and going back and forth across the tank. Side to side, not up and down. Lol. And Dracula went into panic mode like "OMG wait for meeeeee!" And the DG tried to go with them. I'm getting a show tonight apparently.

i have 7 in a 125G and they do that all day long, i also find them hangin out on top of one of the three caves i have :) they are so adorable...

See! ;) lol

Attachments

• 20130104_194350.jpg
    20130104_194350.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 89
Lol. Interesting fishies. Dracula and Lurch are spooning while Lestat goes sifting. I feel like they have to sing that song that Dory sang in Finding Nemo, just keep swimming, but they say sifting instead.

I work in an aquatics store, and believe me Cory's get stuck in nets all the time without any lasting damage, I've also removed many a stuck Cory from rock decor, bogwood, fake plants, a screwcumber, Hairgrass, and last but not least 2 stuck behind a rather large Clown Loach at the back of his cave - love those crazy little fish! We would usually have about 400 in stock of different types at any time and they never fail to make me laugh.

Back
Top Bottom