Curious on what people use gravel or sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sand shouldn't cause any problems with the filters. It is much more natural, cleaner, and looks better. I keep the filter intakes up higher so that if fish want to dig around they won't get the sand in the filter. I have had sand for about five years now and would never go back to gravel except with huge fish (12-18" or more).

Moved to Site Polls. The Community News & Announcements forum is not the right place for this thread.

That said... I use sand or a floramax and flourite mix in all my tanks.

Ecocomplete and playsand in my tanks. Having tried Eco, I would not waste the money next time around.

Fluorite for my planted tanks, some small pebbles with my goldfish (I plan on adding sand however), and crushed aragonite sand in my tanganyikan tank.

Really fine gravel, it almost has the same quality as sand but is still somewhat like gravel.
I tried sand but didn't really like it that much, gravel was a waste as it looked kind of fake. The stuff I have is what I like best IMO :)
Also have Eco-Complete under my substrate as well :)

I use aragonite sand in my tanks, I much prefer it to the gravel rocks. It looks natural and my fish like to dig in it. Very easy to clean as well.

After reading posts I decided to change to sand my pictus cat loves it and I notified even the black ghost knife is digging. the filter doesn't seem to be lifting the sand I checked the sponge around an hour later and there was no sand inside I'm very happy with result just one prob how do I fix the plants down

I have children's play pit sand in 2 of my tanks and black gravel in my small breeder tank. I like the sand but its hard to suck up all the fish waste on the bottom of the tank and not pick up any sand with it!
But it only cost me £2 for 15kg

I find it quite nice to clean actually, I use a siphon and suck sand up into it and it all falls back out before getting drained to my sink.

I have been using sand since my initial set up and it has been 3 months now. No complaints here :)

We have a natural sand colored gravel. We wanted it to look like sand like at Bikini Bottom! Lol sand sounds like it would be really pretty... Maybe next time

...only if you like that one light tan, which can wash out many fish. I prefer solid black or black and white mixed, for about the cost of gravel.

Currently using gravel, I wanted to test the various products out there so I have a eco complete tank, a fluorite tank (a pain... to clean) and floramax. As I continue my quest to have no room in my home, I'll test out other substrates.

My 5 gallon has a mix of natural tan gravel and teal colored aquarium gravel, the 20 gallon has black aquarium sand, and my 30 gallon has a mix of black sand and black gravel.
I love using sand as a substrate, mostly because debris stays on the top to be easily siphoned off. My puffers love resting in it, too.

Sand is much easier IMO. I started with gravel and learned about the vacuuming.

Back
Top Bottom