Curious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve read on here to use prime to start out a new tank with fish in it before the tank has cycled to detoxify the ammonia but when I read on the prime bottle it says it will detox tap water ammonia an nitrites at typical concentration levels..that’s not the high levels of ammonia that our 10 gal has? Right? Is it going to make that much of a difference? I have the api quick start, stress zyme an stress coat..these aren’t going to work? I should’ve just bought the one bottle of prime? I’m so confused!!?

Prime is nice, but all the other water conditioners will work just fine if that's what you have. THey won't bind ammonia so you will need to be on top of your water changes until you cycle. Did you already get your fish?

Not in the 45..but in the 10 there are a few guppies an a couple snails. If the prime will lower the ammonia an nitrites then I would buy it but if it’s not gonna do anything different then the others I won’t bother!? We have done water changes every day in the 10! We are fishless cycling the 45..

Hello Tab...

Keep things simple and you'll be successful. All you need for a fish in cycle is the standard water treatment. With the fish already in the tank, you simply change a third of the tank water a couple of times a week for the first two to three weeks. After that, you change half the water weekly for the life of the tank. If you want to add fish, add a few small ones and increase the amount of the weekly water change.

B

Back
Top Bottom