Current- how much is enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last week I switched from a hob filter to the remora protien skimmer, it seems that the current in my 46 gallon tank is not very strong anymore- I have 1 maxijet 1200 along with the one that attaches to the skimmer. Yesterday when I got home from work, my star polyp that I've had for about 6 weeks and it had been looking great was all closed up. I had a friend drop by to look at it a few minutes ago and got the same story- is this because there is not enough flow or could there be other reasons.

I checked water quality yesterday- amonia, nitrates and nitrites are all good but, i'm still fighting high ph- aprox 8.8.

Any adivce? Should i get another powerhead?

You're at half circulation of what it should be. Skimmer current doesn't get counted at all.

I run two MJ1200's on a 40gallon breeder tank, and it's just about right.

I was thinking this could be my problem- I'll be stopping at the lfs on the way home today- hope its not too late for my star polyp.

Thanks for your input

Do you know why your ph is high? What is your kh, sg, no3 & ca readings? How often/much do you do pwc? What type of lighting do you have on your tank?

Polyps prefer medium currents and as malkore said the addition of another Maxi-Jet 1200 should get you closer to the 10-20 times turnover you need in the tank.

well- as for the ph, I followed your advice and took a water sample to the lfs to have them check it on their ph meter- they said it was 8.25- so if this is correct, then I must just have a bad kit. I have been doing pwc once a week- purchased another maxijet 1200 today and positioned it on the opposite side of the tank hopefully to create enough turbulence- I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will do the trick and hopefully the star polyp will come back out soon.

Do you use pc lighting as well for your corals? Polyps like medium lighting as well in the 4-6 wpg area.

sorry you asked that before didn't you? I have a 96 watt 10,000K and 96 watt True Actinic Coralife light fixture-the polyp is about medium high in the tank-had been doing great until about 2 days ago (seemed to be growing) then all of a sudden just didn't open one day. Yesterday, I added a 2nd powerhead - but still closed up today.

star polyp is back!!!! looks better than ever- I still have concerns about ph- not sure how my readings can be so totally off- but for now all looks good.

Thanks for the support!

what test kit are you useing for your alk? i had a couple of kits that were just hard to match up the colors.

Using a Hagen ph test kit. The highest measure (8.7) should be a royal blue color- my water turns deep purple.

If in doubt then I’d also get a cheap AP ph test or a quality test like Salifert ph.

Your lfs should be able to check it for you also.

Glad your star polyp perked up :D

Back
Top Bottom