Current Stopping Betta Breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I have a male and 2 female Betta's in a small tank (about 2-3G)
They tank has good params and very clear water and plenty of fake plants and ornaments for the fish to swim through and they all seem happy.

The problem is that the current from the filter (internal sponge) seems to prevent the male being able to make the bubble nest.

When he was in a bowl by himself he made the nest but the bowl was too small and I wanted him in a proper tank.

Can anyone who breeds Bettas let me know how you over come this?

Filters and airation must be suspended to allow the bubblenest to be built. Obviously this can't be done safely in a community tank. The males are given their own small tank and once the nest is built, a conditioned female is then added to the tank.

A few more things Esra:

1. A floating plant will help anchor the bubblenest.
2. Keep the tank well covered to reduce heat loss. Air breathers (especially fry), don't do well if the air temp is much cooler than the water temp.
3. When placing the female in the breeding tank be sure she is ready and willing to spawn. If not the male will damage if not kill her.

Back
Top Bottom