Current too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariumcouple

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
showimage.php
How do I tell if the current in my 20g tall tank is too strong? I currently have 3 Serpae Tetras and 3 Dalmation Mollys. It has an in-tank filter that came with the starter kit. I also have an aqua culture dual output air pump designed for a 20-30 gallon tank. I have a long bubble stone (approx 9 inches) in one corner and a small cyllindrical bubble stone inside of a ornament in the opposite corner. As soon as I put the food in the tank it is instantly spread throughout the entire aquarium. The mollys swim all over the aquarium, but the tetras like to stay behind the ornament and kind of low.

Last edited:
Its possibly a problem, Sorry for the slow replys from everyone theres alot to get through.
Airstones do produce quite abit of flow, especially long stick types. As you hve observed your perhaps smaller fish are 'avoiding' currents. As mollies are bred to withstand really bad conditions, which is why they are recommended starter fish.

The airstones arent needed for a tank with a quite large surface area. Take the airstones out, make your filter break the surface of the water if this cant be done just use the disk airstone. If your used to seeing tonnes of bubbles forming on the surface dont worry if they arent. Its notvita.
You will find that your fish will dare to venture elsewhere soon enough.

Also serpae tetra like well planted tanks even if the plants are fake :)

Thanks for the help! Well, since I posted this, I have lost 1 tetra. The other 2, however, are now swimming throughout the tank and are doing fine. It's almost like they had to build up their strength first. The 3 mollys are still thriving! I tested the water and everything was at the safe level. It was a little hard and a little stressed, other than that it was fine. Not sure why I lost the tetra. It just happened to be the prettiest one of the three too, of course.

It doesn't sound like the current is too strong at all. What does the internal filter say about gph?

IMO air pumps do not add much to the current.

How long have you had this tank? What fish and how many? What are the exact numbers of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If your fish are acting strange I wouldn't be blaming the filters current.

I severely doubt the current is too strong. Those fish are not wimpy swimmers, and those filter ratings tend to be on the high side (meaning many filters that say they are for 20g are not really adequate).
Good to hear your remaining serpaes are doing ok now. :) Fish tend to stay low and hidden when they are uncomfortable about something. That is more likely what was going on.
How long have you had your tank set up? Did you cycle it?

This tank is has been set up for 1 week. It was set up for 48 hours before I put any fish in it. We are using 3 dalmation Mollies and 3 Serpae to cycle the tank. 1 Serpae died and we will be replacing it.
Nitrate= 30
Nitrite = 1.0
Hardness = 90
Chlorine = 0
Alkalinity = 120
pH = 7.0
Ammonia = .5

It doesn't sound like the current is too strong at all. What does the internal filter say about gph?

IMO air pumps do not add much to the current.

The pump came with the aquarium. I do not remember what the gph is on it. The bubbles are actually creating a lot of current, especially the ornament on the right in the pic. The mollies are loving it. They swim into the bubbles to ride the current! LOL The current shoots them up to the top, then they swim back down to do it again!

They are being exposed to high levels of nitrIte and nitrate because your tank has not been properly cycled you will need to do 50% WC daily until your have a reading of no nitrites and very minimal ammo (0-.25)

FYI, Serpae tetra
(hyphessobrycon serpae).
hail from Guyana and amazonian terential puddles.
meaning no current until rainier season,meaning this fish does not feel comfortable with strong currents, including vibrations created by the resination created by airstones.

They like soft acidic water with lots of plants and a dark substrate, referably pete. It will nip other fishes fins including own school members.

Serpae tetra do make good cyclers because theyre actually used to little or no toxin convection. Although yes doing 50% water changes will stop deaths.

Hope this stops any misconceptions about this genus of tetras ability to cope with currents.

Aquariumcouple said:
This tank is has been set up for 1 week. It was set up for 48 hours before I put any fish in it. We are using 3 dalmation Mollies and 3 Serpae to cycle the tank. 1 Serpae died and we will be replacing it.
Nitrate= 30
Nitrite = 1.0
Hardness = 90
Chlorine = 0
Alkalinity = 120
pH = 7.0
Ammonia = .5
Letting a tank sit is not cycling. You need an ammonia source to start and continue the process. Your fish are now the ammonia source.
Your fish are basically swimming in poison at the moment. You need to do some large back to back water changes to get the nitrite and ammonia under .25ppm and nitrate under 20ppm. Water changes do not hinder a cycle and are needed to keep your fish healthy during them. You are looking at daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite at acceptable levels.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
Please read this article. It will explain.

Last edited:
Nitrate= 30
Nitrite = 1.0
Hardness = 90
Chlorine = 0
Alkalinity = 120
pH = 7.0
Ammonia = .5
I agree with Mumma that unfortunately the tank is not cycled. Cycling refers to allowing a colony of beneficial bacteria to grow that will turn the ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrate. So, you are still cycing.
Good job getting a test kit. Since you already have fish, you should be really dutiful about doing pwc every few days to keep the ammo levels down. Hopefully, your fish should be able to pull through it all just fine though. Many stores do not do a good job of telling people about cycling. But, it is very possible to keep the alive and happy while cycling. :)

Back
Top Bottom