Custom Tank Height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a tank with a length around 4-5ft. My planned width is 2ft.

I was just wondering what type of height range I should be looking at (as I don't want the effectiveness of the light to be dimished). I was thinking around 2ft. Just out of curiousity, what would you think is the max height I can have for my tank without the quality of my light being comprimised.

While I'm at it, what type of light requirements would I be looking at to be growing most varieties of plants (ie high-very high) for a 4x2x2 tank (around 100g)?

TIA

You are looking at either 18" to 21" I would think...those are the standard heights for that size.

Check the stickies at the beginning of this forum. Most of your questions can be answered there.

The people I'm thinking of buying it from say they custom make their own tanks/furniture. But they offer a decent 3 year warranty and their prices are pretty cheap.

So I don't particularly need standard aquarium sizes but rather sizes so that the effectiveness of the light isn't diminished. I haven't read much about standard aquarium sizes on these forums.

Also, I've read each of the stickies several times now. If you are referring to the "lighting required" aspect of my post, I ask this because people have questioned the use of "wpg" vs using lumens to calculate light required (sorry I have no idea about this concept so far). This is coupled with the idea that the "wpg" rule breaks down when it comes to large tanks, or something like that (I'm pretty sure I've read that in a couple of posts on this forum)

If my questions can be answered from the stickies I apologise, but I wouldn't ask unless I think they didn't.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom