Cyano-bacteria (Blue Green Algae)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmedalis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any good photos of (non-magnified) blue green algae?
I have some algae growth in my tank, and I am not 100% sure what it is.
One of my friends says it's the big bad blue green, I am hoping it's the not so bad fuzzy kind.
The tank is a 10 gallon with only one platy in it. It's not planted, since I am new to fishkeeping.
The algae is growing on the edges of some of the plastic plants, and on the terra cotta flower pot cave, and I've noticed it on a few of the larger gravel pebbles.
It doesn't seem to be large huge sheets like most descriptions I've read, and many of the photos I've found for cyanobacteria are from reef aquaria.
I will try to get some photos tonight and post them
Thanks in advance.
--Christopher

Cyano bacteria covers things in blanket-like layers. It usually has a distinct smell to it, and if you were to touch it, it would be slimy. It's not stringy.

Agreed, cyano is pretty strong smelling. Sniff your tank--I think you will notice a strong, unpleasant smell if you're dealing with cyano.

I spend some (probably too much) time sniffing at the top of my tank. All I can really smell is the funny electric smell from the transformer in the light box. The water smells like, well aquarium water. It's not nasty stinky or anything.
I have some photos that I took last nite, here's a link (the full size photos are rather large) thanks for your help.
(here's one that shows up the best)

http://insanity.lost-angel.com/~christopher/gallery/fishtank/DSCN0532

Looks to me like regular 'ole green algae. Increase your water changes and/or reduce your light cycle and it should take care of it.

Incidentally, you don't have to be experienced to keep plants. If you have a low light tank, get yourself some java fern, as that is the most commonly available and just about the easiest thing to take care of. You don't plant it in the gravel but just tie it to an object, like that clay pot, and it will use its crampons (brown roots) to attach itself to it. No special needs, as long as you have fluorescent light. After you do well with that you will have the inspiration to get something else! :D I think plants make a healthier tank (see my gallery 8O ) and they might use the nutrients that are currently being used by the algae you have.

I was also shying away from the plants because I had a goldfish and he chomps on just about everything. But if it is just normal algae, I am kinda happy that the tank can grow things. :) Maybe I will look for some more java moss / java fern when I head out to the LFS next.
Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom