Cyano observation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a constant but managed cyano problem on the sand bed for many months. Recently I got a shrimp goby (he's got orange dots, not sure what kind he is). Today I noticed that the area around his hole has nice cyano-free sand. After noticing this it occurred to me that it makes sense. Anyway just thought I'd share this anecdote for all those people always asking what to do about cyano.

I have hermit crabs but they've never done much for this. Maybe I just need more of them.

My hermits won't tocuh my cyano. I changed my lights a bit and started cleaning my skimmer every day (cyano feeds on DOC's) and it hasn't gotten worse in a week...

I did get a phosphate reactor, which helped some too.

I need to siphon again, but I think this will have kicked it

I'm thinking that the shrimp goby just moved sand around when making his hole/burrow and didn't actually consume any or git rid of it otherwise.

I agree with Ray. The goby isn't eating the cyano, only keeping the sand stirred near his spot keeping it clean.

Gator,

You might need another powerhead in your tank. If the movement of the sand is reducing visable cyano, this could be why... you may not have enough water flow through your tank.

Btw, are you going to FBC up in Gainesville? I attend Liberty University by Distance and have quite a few friends up in Gainesville.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I wasn't implying that the shrimp goby was actually consuming the cyano, only that it was keeping the sand clean and free of cyano by stirring it up.

I have a 90 gal and all my PHs are high up. Maybe I need one down low to add movement across the sand.

What's FBC? I guess if I were going to it, I'd probably know what it was. :D

I got a used AquaC Pro with my tank that came with a Mag3. Anyway, I was getting the red cyno in parts of the tank. I came home one day and the skimmer was not working. I've had this happen before when a small shell would stop up the injector nozzle. This time it wasn't stopped up..the pump had died.
I got a new Mag3 the next day and installed it. The skimmer was actually working better than before. I had to move the band down on the reservoir. Three days later, the cyno was completely gone!

I've been thinking for a while that a skimmer might help. It's the #1 item on my Christmas list! In fact, it's the exact same skimmer that is on my list. :D Hopefully I'll have the same result.

Back
Top Bottom