Cyano problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 45 gallon tank with a big Cyanobacteria problem. It's been up for a few months now, and the cyanobacteria is all over the rocks and sand, and is starting to creep up the glass and equipment! I have reduced light time to less than half and am feeding every 3 days. Other than an RO unit, what else can I do?!

first test your water. I would do weekly 20% pwc and vacuum out as much cyano as possible. I use an airline hose to vacuum it up so you have time to work. The hose I normally use for pwc siphons water too fast.

I have vacuumed several times and nitrate ammonia and nitrite seem to be ok...

How much is small? According to the article I linked a few posts ago, as little as 0.03ppm phosphates can be a problem and should be lowered asap.

Tap water contains phosphates, phospates cause cyano. Test for phosphates, don't use tap, and vodka dose.

Ok, anything else? And I don't have vodka...anything eat it?

Do you have any suggestions? And hello

Don't think anyone has any other suggestions. Vacuum up as much as possible, and make sure your phosphates are zero. Phosphates cause the cyano, get rid of the phos, get rid of the cyano.

Back
Top Bottom