Cycle and plant question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ringoffire

Aquarium Advice Regular
My parameters are:

10 gallon fish-in cycle (day 29)
Ph- 7.6
Ammo- .5
Nitrite- 1.0
Nitrate- >5
Performed 50%wc treated w/ prime after these results.
--Question here is what level is safe level for nitrites. Is it same as ammonia at .25 safe, wc at .5?

55 gallon fish less cycle (day13)
Ph- 7.8
Ammo- 4.0
Nitrite- 1.5
Nitrate- 5

My question about these results is that I thought that my ammonia would go down once nitrites and nitrates showed up. Have not dosed ammonia in about 1 week still at 4ppm. Should I do a water change or just wait till nitrates go up a bit more?

And last question is about this amazon sword plant (in 55g) It is not looking so hot after being moved a few times, it is more brown then in pic. Leaves are very sheer and wilting. Should I remove it or trim it? Is it gonna come back? Only dosing water with liquid c02 once a day . ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394827271.264450.jpg

In the fish-in cycle tank you need to do a large wc or two until both ammonia and nitrite levels are .25ppm or lower.

In the fishless cycle tank sometimes it can stall so you can do a 25% WC to bring the ammonia level down just a bit and see if the cycle kicks in and you start seeing ammonia levels moving. Also check your ph. If it is 6.5 of lower biological activity slows and at 6 or less biological activity stops.

You need to leave the sword in one stop so roots can established. They don't like being moved around a lot. Also you need to add a root tab as they are heavy root feeders. It should recover with new leaf growth. Once you get a new leaf of two cut off all the damaged leaves so the plant doesn't waste energy on them and put it towards new healthy growth.

Thanks. The plant does have a root tab under it I forgot to mention. I won't be moving it any more. So then I shouldn't trim these leaves off till I see new leaves growing? On the 10g fish-in I did do a 50% wc right after these readings. So then .25 is safe for nitrites that's what I was wondering. And I'll plan on doing a 25%wc on the 55g tomorrow. Ph is good(7.8) after the 25% wc do I re-dose ammonia or just wait and see what happens? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get this right.

Dont know much about fishless cycling, but for the fish in .25 nitrites is fine. If you can, dose prime daily to help the fish. I did that and they withstood 1-2ppm nitrites with no problems or signs of stress. As for the amazon sword, same thing happened to mine. I cut off any of the leaves that were really bad (thin, had tears, holes) and new leaves grew back quickly with just seachem excel. I tied the existing stems i didnt cut together with fishing line to keep them from wilting so they look nice in the mean time.

Thanks. The plant does have a root tab under it I forgot to mention. I won't be moving it any more. So then I shouldn't trim these leaves off till I see new leaves growing? On the 10g fish-in I did do a 50% wc right after these readings. So then .25 is safe for nitrites that's what I was wondering. And I'll plan on doing a 25%wc on the 55g tomorrow. Ph is good(7.8) after the 25% wc do I re-dose ammonia or just wait and see what happens? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get this right.

If a leaf is almost transparent you can cut it off now but if possible leave the plant alone and give it time to acclimate and get its roots established. Then as soon as you have new leaf growth cut all bad leaves off.

I would wait and see if the ammonia starts going down and nitrites up before redosing up to 4ppm.

Back
Top Bottom