Cycle finally started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azure Lord

Aquarium Advice Freak
Cycle finally started, after removing part of my filter and adding an extra dose of aqua safe plus. Any thought?

Wow. What a relief that must be!
I'm not sure what you mean that you removed part of your filter - what part? Some of the media?

Aqua Safe plus is a dechlorinator, right? Possibly there's more than the normal amount of chlorine in your water, which would make sense, as chlorine would certainly zorch the bacteria, so not having enough dechlorinator would be bad for the cycle.

If you can, consider using Prime. The reason I recommend it is because it's a lot more concentrated than Aqua Safe Plus, and so much more efficient. You need way less. Works out a lot cheaper, and if the chlorine levels ARE the problem, then Prime would probably be more efficient for you.

I used to use Tetra Aqua Safe Plus myself and went through many bottles. I'm still on my first bottle of prime now, almost a year after buying it :)

But yay! that your cycle is started :)

No...the filter is a tetra pf10 whisper. It had the white carbon filled filter, ant this other black sponge looking thing that also slid down in the filter in front of the carbon filter. Not sure what its purpose was but-its out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I may switch to prime... But the Tetra came with, and I enjoyed the symmetry of having everything be a tetra product.

Hi. I think you will find that the sponge you removed is a pre-filter before the water enters the carbon packet. This removes larger particles that can quickly gum up the carbon, requiring it to be replaced before it is exhausted. Also the sponge is a major home for beneficial bacteria (BB) which is required for successful cycling. My gut feeling is that the removal of this foam was a coincidence and that your tank would be better served by replacing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thats what i thought...but theres no way to securely place it before the carbon filter.

It doesn't have to be "securely" in place, just sitting in the filter it'll do its job of holding bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom