Cycle - Nitrates High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsdratm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started cycling my 75 gallon aquarium using live rock about 2 weeks ago. I just did a water test and got the following results:

ammonia: 0
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 200

Are the nitrates going to go down on their own or do I have to take some action here? I used RO water so I know they came from the cycle.

Nitrates won't really go down on their own, without something assisting their removal like a refugium. Only thing you can do is to do a few water changes. 50-60% at a time until you see them go down and stay down.

HTH. Welcome to AA!

How much live rock did you use? Sure it was uncured? I'd think the ammonia or nitrite should definitely be present by now in 2 weeks.

I'm not trusting your test kit or the rock was cured and there never was an ammonia source to get the cycle started. Didja ever see any in the 2 weeks at all?

There was ammonia and nitrites when I tested last week. And the live rock was definitely not cured since it smelled awful when it arrived (after 2 days of shipping). I ordered 90 lbs from liveaquaria.com.

Just hard to imagine that sufficient levels were present and already back to zero in 2 weeks - implying the cycle is complete. How many lbs of LR?

How high did either reading get?

I agree that your test kit is probably off. There is a very slight possibility that your tank could start producing no3 into your 2nd week but a 200 ppm reading is extremely high.

Nitrate test kits are notorious for being off if older then a year and usually give inaccurate readings that are very high. Even if you just bought the kit it could have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for over a year. I’d verify your results with the lfs and also buy a new kit from a different manufacture to be sure.

As Devilishturtles said multiple pwc of 50+% is the only way to reduce such high no3 numbers if they are accurate. Make sure you aerate and mix your SW for 24+ hours before changing though.

What was the highest nh3/no2 reading you have had so far and what is it currently?

Back
Top Bottom