Cycle problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nah after that long I bet you depleted the trace phosphorous in the tap water so it caused a stall.
More and more I'm convinced that a WC doesn't hurt anything (See Caliban! I can be flexible ;) ) just because it replenishes the trace stuff that we don't really think about. So WCs can be good, they just aren't good for the reason we have always thought (the high nitrite thing)

Haha. That's good! How's experiment thread going?

Sometimes they will lie in on spot for a while. Sometimes for a day or two

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did a 50% water change today and dosed ammonia up to 2ppm, we'll see how test results look tomorrow

Some good news, I think, after the water change my nitrites are still very high 5.0ppm+ but I have finally seen a spike in nitrites coming in at 20ppm :)

More good news today's nitrates are 80ppm! Can't wait to finally start seeing a drop in nitrites :)

I would check it daily and dose if necessary until you see nitrates drop.

Well I convert 2ppm of ammonia in about 12 hours, I slowed dosing due to high buildup of trites and very little grates before. Don't want to risk stalling cycle again

Think I'm almost there! Converted 2ppm ammonia to 0ppm in less than 12 hours and within 24 hours nitrites went from 2.0ppm to .25 ppm while nitrates are a shade darker than the 80ppm color. I dosed 2 more ppm of ammonia and going to check in 24 hours. If both ammonia and nitrites read 0ppm in 24 hours or less is it safe to say I'm cycled and can do a huge water change to get nitrates down, lower aquarium temps, and stock?

Sounds like it...i think that your nitrites should be at 0ppm constantly but .25 is almost there.

What are you planning to stock your tank with?

Starting with either 3-otos or Chinese algae eaters, 2 pairs fancy guppies, 3 cherry or Amano shrimp, 3-4 assassin snails, 2 dwarf or honey gouramis

Back
Top Bottom