Cycle questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RexDarr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've done fishless cycles and cycles using only plants and fish flakes but I'm curious about other types of cycles.

One of my friends said that if you start your tank and add Nutrifin Cycle immediately you can add fish that day. Is that true?

I've also heard that taking a filter from another tank (that is running) and adding it to your tank helps speed the process along too. I have a 10 gallon with 2 filter sponges and was thinking of adding one to my 20 gallon that I just started on Friday. Has anyone tried this method?

Right now I have a 20 gallon (picture attached) with some fertz below the rock substrate, 5 plants, some duckweed floating around, and a big piece of Malaysian drift wood I boiled until all the tannins were removed. The only chemicals I've added were nutrients for the plants and some water conditioner.
I added everything Friday morning and as patient as I am I'm really itching to add some fish! Any advice would be great!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1447794563507.jpg
    1447794563507.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 50
Nutrafin cycle no; prettymuch all "instant cycle" products are garbage.

Moving your filter/filter media absolutely works. I use that on literally every new tank I start. How fast it cycles depends on the media, the tank it's coming from and the tank it's cycling, but it absolutely speeds things up significantly and sometimes even "instantly" cycles.

Putting one of your filters from your 10 into your 20 is an ideal way of kick starting the 20 cycle.
Just be aware that removing half the BB from the 10 may cause a mini cycle so feed sparingly, water change little and often and water test more often than usual. If the remaining filter in the 10 has enough media then it will quickly catch up.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Back
Top Bottom