Cycle restarted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Monday was the first time I tested my water in 2-3 months. The last time I tested it, my ammonia was 0, nitrites were 0, and nitrates were between 40 and 80 and they had been that way for a year prior. When I tested Monday, ammonia was between 2.0 and 4.0, nitrites were 0, and nitrates were between 40 and 80. I did a 50% water change after seeing those results. Then today (Wednesday) I tested the water again and ammonia was 0.25, nitrites were 0.25, and nitrates were between 40 and 80. I only have two wag platyies in my tank and I only feed them once or twice a week. I was using an AquaClear 30 filter with the sponge and biomax in it, but on Sunday night, it died (or so I thought. Turns out the motor just needed to be cleaned). So I bought a new AquaClear 50 and hooked it up Monday. I mixed the new media with the old media. So, my question is, did my cycle restart? If so, what could have caused it to do so after I've been doing so well at keeping my ammonia at 0 for so long? Could it be because I was without a filter for half a day? What could be going on?

A lot depends on the maintenance of the tank itself, how are yoir water changes? You feed them once or twice a week but how much food? And most likely your filter has been weak for a while? A half a day without the filter running is not a problem as long as the media was wet the whole time and the old media in the new filter is a good thing, you should be fine within a couple of days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do monthly water changes and I only feed enough for them to eat in a few months.

I would think there is still plenty of good bacteria in there, especially since you are using old media. A side note, are you using the API Master Test Kit? ANYTIME I test for ammonia, it ALWAYS reads 0.25, I have never seen anything less. Searching online leads me to believe this is an occurrence with most people.

Yes I do and I have come across times where it has read 0 ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom