cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm pretty positive my tank is cycled...
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 7.6

I just got a blue(0)reading about 3 days ago and it has stayed that way, now today I did a 25% water change and cleaned the tank a bit, I tested an hour later and nitrite is .25 I know there's some nitrite in my tap water, I also treat the water before putting it in the tank, is that normal? If it is indeed cycled will this reading go down after swipe?

You tank should be cycled if you have Nitrates. Have you tested your tap water for Nitrates. If there are no nitrates in your tap water. Then congratulations. You have a cycled tank.

I'm just a litte confused...I've been doing a fish in cycle for over 2 months...had my ammonia and nitrie spike and they both went to 0...I just tested my tap water for nitrates and there is some in my tap...so if there's nitrates in my water my tank isn't cycled??

Ok that could mean your tank is not cycled yet. But it should be done soon.

What size tank and what fish? Any live plants? You seem cycled to me. If there's nitrIte in your tap water it should go down to 0 within 24 hours, maybe earlier assuming the tank is cycled the bacteria should convert it to nitrates fairly quickly. Nitrates are relative to the tank size and fish load; my nitrates never get above 5 during the week prior to a water change as I have a pretty low load of fish. I wouldn't worry about the nitrates as long as ammonia and nitrite are staying at 0 on their own. Just don't change out the filter media.

Did you test your tap water for Nitrates or Nitrites when i said you should test it.

Ok that means that you are not cycled yet but very close. :D

Because to be cycled you need to have 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and some Nitrates. Your tap water has nitrates in it and you don't have much Nitrate which means that your tank probably isn't cycled yet. Though it is really close.

That's exactly what my tank is, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates

Yes but you have Nitrates in your water don't you? Since you have so little nitrates in your tank right now it's probably from your tap water.

But if ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0 it shouldnt matter what my nitrates are...right as long as there's some?

As long as your ammonia and nitrites are staying steadily at zero, your cycled. I would just continue to monitor levels to make sure things are staying where they need to be because newly cycled tanks can be a bit tempermental. :)

K, thanks...gonna retest tomorrow to make sure nitrites go back to zero

Back
Top Bottom