Cycleing new tank ideas? (I'm a newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnaflow

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys Dont know if you read some of my other post but I am planing on trying salt water soon. Just wondering whats the best way to cycle it. I read about the raw shrimp trick. Would you recomend that or just letting ti run or adding certain chemicals? probley picking up a used 29gal tonight and a protein skimmer from a buddy of mine. I wont be setting it up for a month probley but I'd like to know ahead of time.

I'm thinking it depends on your live rock source. I got mine from the LFS w/plenty of die off for a cycle. Some of these online sources have rock shipped in pretty good condition w/little or no die off and plenty of life on'm. Wouldn't want to cycle with good living stuff (stars, snails, corraline, shrimp, etc) on it. The ammonia spike would kill a lot or you'll be changing water like crazy.

IMO, yes if you're gonna go with the mail order rock with lots of life on it. I think some cycle with the sand/substrate in place too.

Done any reading yet? Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is a good start - all except the part about cycling with fish. Do yourself a favor and read that. You'll save money and headaches later IMO.

You can cycle with liverock in the tank. Is the liverock going to be your filtration? Or will you be using some other filtration? Whatever your filtration is, that needs to be in the tank. You are not "Cycling" the water, you are cycling the filtration media, getting it to grow the bacterias needed.

This article may also help you some:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

well I was thinking of using a protien skimmer and a salt water filter (salt water carbon or whatever you use) I was told in a tank only 29 you dotn need a power head.. Should I get one? or what else shoudl I use perharps

protein skimmers are not really filtration. Power heads are not filtration, they just move water around. Depending on the type of filter you buy, will determine if you need powerheads. I think you should take some time and investigate some of the options availabe to you. Buy a good book or get one from the library, then, after reading it, post your questions and we can help you.

Yes, you need to do a LOT of research before you start buying equipment or planning things out. I highly recommend Michael Paletta's The New Marine Aquarium. it's a good beginner book.
To follow that reading, Robert Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is the best.

ok I will look for it.. Like I said be a bit before I try so I will let ya knwo how I make out and what I will need to know thanks

I stocked my tank with base rock for my cycle. When my cycle was almost complete I ordered rock from www.liverocks.com and it came in great shape, finished off my cycle and I was good to go. I also have a sump that I use for additional water volume (the more the better in salt water), which is where my skimmer is. The skimmer removes quite a bit of "gunk" from the water, but the place where the "cycle" takes place is on the surfaces of the rock, sand, tank walls, etc. Most people say not to skim a tank while you're cycling it (also shouldn't use a UV light during that time either). Hope that helps!

If your getting local LR I would toss the LR in from the start. Chances are there will not be much life (stars, snails, crabs)on LFS LR. If its cured LR you may not even have a cycle. I would get at least 1 lb per gallon
Do some reading before you jump into the hobby, SW is not cheap...

ya I think I might let it cycle for while. Go with sand and do the whole shrimp thing. Add the live rock when its done after the few weeek by then I can save some $$. Question though I know I dont run the protien skimmer but do I do the filter and power head or? on initial cycle setup

ok I have read alot on the setup and pretty sure I know how to get started I might start the cycle this weekand. Assuming I have the $$ for soem things.. Wish me luck

as I said before, you need to run the filtration, that is what is being cycled, NOT the water.

sorry I worded that wrong I ment to say more or less do I run the powerr head while I do the cycle. I might pick up a book tonight anyways.

Back
Top Bottom