Cycling 2 tanks: 1 fishless, 1 planted with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doublenerds

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, on March 27, I started fishless cycling on a 29 gallon that contained about 4 live plants and standard aquarium gravel. I used the guidelines posted here.

On May 10, I started a 28 gallon bowfront with sand over soil, fairly heavily planted.

On May 12, I got some mature filter media from my lfs and added it to the filters on both tanks.

8 weeks after starting my fishless cycle, the ammonia on my 29 has not budged. With my planted tank, I experienced 5 days of ammonia rising to 0.1 ppm every 24 hours, and since then the tank has been holding steady at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5ppm nitrates.

My planted tank currently contains 6 harlequin rasbora, 5 horned nerite snails, and half a dozen red cherry shrimp. All appear to be zippy and healthy.

I will, of course, continue to test water daily and watch fish closely, but I have actually decided to break down my 29 and re-do it as a soil-substrate planted tank, since it seems to be working so darn well.

doublenerds said:
OK, on March 27, I started fishless cycling on a 29 gallon that contained about 4 live plants and standard aquarium gravel. I used the guidelines posted here.

On May 10, I started a 28 gallon bowfront with sand over soil, fairly heavily planted.

On May 12, I got some mature filter media from my lfs and added it to the filters on both tanks.

8 weeks after starting my fishless cycle, the ammonia on my 29 has not budged. With my planted tank, I experienced 5 days of ammonia rising to 0.1 ppm every 24 hours, and since then the tank has been holding steady at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5ppm nitrates.

My planted tank currently contains 6 harlequin rasbora, 5 horned nerite snails, and half a dozen red cherry shrimp. All appear to be zippy and healthy.

I will, of course, continue to test water daily and watch fish closely, but I have actually decided to break down my 29 and re-do it as a soil-substrate planted tank, since it seems to be working so darn well.

Plants feed the cycle IMO/E and you could try taking some plants or decco from the cycled tank and putting it in the 29g. I wouldn't chance a mini cycle using filter media from the cycled tank, but maybe try adding some extra media into for a couple weeks and then put it into the 29g to seed it.

Back
Top Bottom