Cycling 5gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dancersmama79

Aquarium Advice Freak
Cycling my 5gal with a female Betta n 2 thumbnail size snails have a heater n filter temp stays around 80. Checked my levels wit my API kit today n my nitrite was at 5 n nitrate is at 10 did a 50% WC n levels r the same any suggestions? Should I do another WC or will the nitrites convert on their own

Bettafanatic said:
I think the results are inaccurate if nitrites had been 5 everyone would be dead

I just retested and I'm sending pictures maybe u can help? This is just the nitrite

Attachments

• image-638379643.jpg
    image-638379643.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1369176038.jpg
    image-1369176038.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 55
Wow. Does your tap water have nitrite? Give it a test and see. If not, more water changes in the betta tank ASAP. You want to get those nitrites down under .25. Could take multiple water changes but it's important that you get those levels down.

librarygirl said:
Wow. Does your tap water have nitrite? Give it a test and see. If not, more water changes in the betta tank ASAP. You want to get those nitrites down under .25. Could take multiple water changes but it's important that you get those levels down.

Thank you. I did another change and had put my lil dragon in a 2 gal container I keep her in when doing WCs n the snails are in my 20gal I think she's got some burn to her gills since they seem to have been rapidly moving all the time n now she seems calmer but her gills seem still to never close all the way I did add some aquarium salt to her water n her tank as well any other suggestions??

Test your tap water, post those same pictures up!

Do you have Prime? You can dose that to help reduce some of the nitrite

tottenham12712 said:
Test your tap water, post those same pictures up!

Do you have Prime? You can dose that to help reduce some of the nitrite

I tested the tank again after letting it filter for at least 20 mins and the nitrites are at .25. I've tested my tap before n the levels are fine. I have had this tank running for nearly a yr before emptying it last month when my male Betta died n wasn't able to keep it running. Now I'm having to cycle it all over again. Thanks for the input

That's really strange. The fish's gills were probably injured from nitrite poisoning. Hopefully she'll be okay. You might want to consider switching to a fishless cycle if nitrites are that out of whack, but if you don't have another suitable place for it I'd just keep doing the fish-in cycle but more carefully to make sure it doesn't spike again.

Bettafanatic said:
That's really strange. The fish's gills were probably injured from nitrite poisoning. Hopefully she'll be okay. You might want to consider switching to a fishless cycle if nitrites are that out of whack, but if you don't have another suitable place for it I'd just keep doing the fish-in cycle but more carefully to make sure it doesn't spike again.

I'll be doing daily testing from now on until it's fully cycled

That's the right way to do it ^__^ How often were you testing before nitrites spiked? Are you seeing any nitrates yet?

Bettafanatic said:
That's the right way to do it ^__^ How often were you testing before nitrites spiked? Are you seeing any nitrates yet?

Every couple days. My nitrates are at 5. Checked my tank this morn and the nitrites had spiked again. Can u cycle a tank with nothing in it but the filter heater gravel n the setup and no fish or snails? I took mine out this morning put the snails in the 20 gal Can't put my Betta in there cause she fights with the others but I have her in a 2 gal container with fresh water n added aquarium salt my quest is can I cycle the tank. Like it is and do I still need to do water changes or leave it alone

IN a fishless cycle you need to dose ammonia whenever the readings are 0. DOsing to 2 ppm should be sufficient. THere's a good ammo calculator out there that'll tell you how much

Honestly since you already have the fish it's best to continue with the fish-in cycle in the current tank. In a 2 gal container there's less water and the fish will be swimming in toxins there as well.

Bettafanatic said:
As long as you can control the nitrites. Is the fish looking any better today?

Yea she seems to be doing fine just don't want to cause her any more stress than I already have. I don't have any ammonia to do a fish less cycle with

dancersmama79 said:
Yea she seems to be doing fine just don't want to cause her any more stress than I already have. I don't have any ammonia to do a fish less cycle with

How long does it usually take Bettas to heal from nitrite poisoning? I did a water change with aquarium salt n the nitrites are down to.25 but my nitrates are gone. Her Gils are still rapidly opening and closing I expect that's normal for a couple days? Her temp is at 80 and she's swimming around pretty good

Hmm I don't know what to say about her gills as I'm not very much an expert on that area. I think as long as you keep nitrites and ammonia normal she will be fine. Although a 2 gallon tank should be fine for her as long as the cycle is nearly finished. Is the 2 gallon cycled?

You can use fish food as a source of ammonia or raw shrimp. The shrimp might be a little much for such a tiny tank, but fish food can work. It'll be harder to dose to the level you want, but once you figure it out you should be fine. Ace Hardware's ammonia is pretty popular for cycling. I don't use that brand. I forget what I use, I think it's Austin Clear Ammonia or something but it has worked great for me in the past. I cycled a tank in 20 days using it.

Gills wont heal from nitrite or ammonia poisoning :/ They get permanently damaged. If your betta wasnt exposed for very long most likely everything will be ok. Salt helps greatly since it helps gill function, would it be possible to slowly lower the water temperature to 78? It will help keep more o2 in the water.

Other than that just keep an eye on her, since the high levels probably caused alot of stress and her immune system may be slightly weak. Keeping your water very very clean at this point is very important!

EDIT: keep in mind bettas have a labyrinth organ that allows them to breathe air from the surface.

Back
Top Bottom