Cycling a 12 liter tank with shrimps in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there. Last Saturday I was forced to move my Long-Clawed shrimps to a separate tank. Because it was an emergency I had to put the tank first, and only put filter in it yesterday morning, so I guess it's gonna go through cycle now.
At first I used the water from the big tank and a filter pad I had in the filter there. I also put a bit of a gravel and a decoration for the bacterias to grow faster.
My question is, what next? I'm gonna change the water in the shrimps today, but don't know how much: 50%? More?
Also-- should I use the water from the mature tank again, or don't bother and just make fresh with some water conditioner?
How long it may take to cycle on such a small tank?

Another question is for feeding them-- as I find out myself they're predatory (they ate a LOT of my fishes), so I'm thinking about getting some little fishy from time to time into the tank, so they can eat it. Is it a good/bad idea? What do you guys thinking?

If you moved seeded filter material over with the shrimp, since their bio-load is so small, you should hopefully be able to avoid even a mini cycle. Just keep an eye on your water parameters. Use fresh water with your water changes. They don't need feeder fish, but it's your choice if you want to offer them. :)

If you moved seeded filter material over with the shrimp, since their bio-load is so small, you should hopefully be able to avoid even a mini cycle. Just keep an eye on your water parameters. Use fresh water with your water changes. They don't need feeder fish, but it's your choice if you want to offer them. :)

Sadly I didn't :(
The Ammonia is about 1.5, but it's the Nitrites I'm worried about - they're sky-high :( Hope they'll make it all-right. Don't want to lose them after all that we've been through...

Yes, i'm doing about 50-60% everyday with fresh water backed-up by Aqua Safe. The only thing to do now is to have the fingers crossed, I suppose...

jetajockey said:
I agree, and also I suggest adding a pinch of salt with water changes while you are going through the nitrite spikes.

Do I need to add the salt with the fresh water or can I "salt" the water I have now?

I think I see the improvement already, as they starting to move a lot more. They fight even, so I guess I need to change the decor and put something so they can hide separate from each other and have their own territory...

senemedar said:
I think I see the improvement already, as they starting to move a lot more. They fight even, so I guess I need to change the decor and put something so they can hide separate from each other and have their own territory...

That's good. Is it two in a 12L tank? Don't they get quite large? Or an I thinking of something else?

Mumma.of.two said:
That's good. Is it two in a 12L tank? Don't they get quite large? Or an I thinking of something else?

No, you're right-- they already are rather big. But it's the only one I could get at the moment, and it was an emergency. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have the funds nor space in the flat to buy yet another one; they'll have to cope how they are now.

senemedar said:
No, you're right-- they already are rather big. But it's the only one I could get at the moment, and it was an emergency. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have the funds nor space in the flat to buy yet another one; they'll have to cope how they are now.

Maybe you might have to rehome one. They could kill each other if in too small of a space.

Mumma.of.two said:
Maybe you might have to rehome one. They could kill each other if in too small of a space.

I think so as well, but it's the best I can do at the moment. I try to figure something out; still-- even if only one survives it's the better outcome than replacing all the fishes I had in the tank :hide:

I don't want you to get me wrong-- I wouldn't go through all the effort to save them if I didn't care about them; I bet some people would just flush them down the toilet...
It's just I'm pretty much limited with what I can do at the moment :(

Back
Top Bottom