Cycling a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishcrazy86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I’ve only had this tank up for about 2 weeks an I’m not a pro at testing my water so I took it to our Local pet store an they said I’m in mid cycle guess things were pretty rough. Well when we started it up we were told to use stability for 7 days an we did just that. When our water was checked I was told we never should of used it? An should of started with some cheap fish. I plan to take my water to be tested again soon to see where we are at. But any recommendations as to what to do?

So I’ve only had this tank up for about 2 weeks an I’m not a pro at testing my water so I took it to our Local pet store an they said I’m in mid cycle guess things were pretty rough. Well when we started it up we were told to use stability for 7 days an we did just that. When our water was checked I was told we never should of used it? An should of started with some cheap fish. I plan to take my water to be tested again soon to see where we are at. But any recommendations as to what to do?

You are mid cycle

Likely amonnia is dropping, nitrites are just starting to drop and nitrates are rising.

Keep ammonia dosing, let the nitrites drop, remove excess nitrates with water changes as needed.

Keep temps on the warmer side to speed up bacterial colonizing.

You are mid cycle. So don’t bother with cheap fish. Animal cruelty ;)

Let the fish less cycle finish off, shouldn’t be long now.

Hello Fish...

Bacteria boosters aren't the best means of cycling a tank. The stuff can cycle one tank in a few days and the next in a few months. What you generally end up with is a tank full of unstable water. You can drain the tank and start over with a few hardy fish, 3 to 4 four for every 10 gallons of water you want to cycle. Guppies, Platys, White Cloud minnows or Danios are good to use. Add some floating plants like Hornwort and then feed the fish a little every day or two and test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water. In a month or so, you'll have several tests with no traces of ammonia or nitrite. The tank is cycled and you just change out half the water weekly to maintain good water conditions for the fish.

Pretty simple.

B

I recommend buying an API Master Water Test Kit. It's less than $20 and will last you quite awhile. It's better than running to the fish store and hope that whoever checks your water knows what she/he is doing. And you can keep a close look at your tank water during and after the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom