Cycling for a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
So how long do you think I should cycle my new 10 gallon tank for? I have used 10 gallons of water from my established 55 gallon tank, rinsed the new filter in water from the 55 and also squeezed one of my filters from the 55 into the tank. I have been putting in food,did a 10% water change because I couldn't get the cloudiness out of the water. I put in 6 Giant Danios, and 6 live plants.It has been running for a week now. My tested water is the same as my 55 gallon with the exception of my nitrates are a bit higher in my 55. I really don't want the tank to be used for anything else, but I do want the tank to run 24/7 in case I need it for anything. How do I keep up the healthy levels after the tank is cycled with no fish or plants in it. Should I just leave 1 plant in it or what???? Please help this beginner cycling quandary. And many thanks in advanced for your advice.
Rick

You could add ammonia. Why don't you just use the tank.

If zero fish are in the tank then do the pure ammonia it is pretty quick, I just finished mine in 2 weeks time. But only if you have no fish.

That is what i meant. To keep the bio filter strong with no fish you need ammonia source.

I guess I should have added that this tank is to be used for the sole purpose of a hospital/breeding/quarantine tank ONLY!!

what bout just putting food into it daily?? Do I use household ammonia? and how much for a ten gallon tank?

well I want it to be ready in case i need to put any sick/pregnant fish in it at any time plus use it for quarantining of new fish and plants

Keeping it cycled is easy with pure ammonia and you can use it to fishless cycle some fish tank.

not what i'm asking. do i use fish permanently in the tank to keep it ready for my use as already described or what? household ammonia or something special and how much for a 10 gallon tank and how much frequency.

Make sure it is pure ammonia with no additives. Dose it up to 1 ppm daily I think

Ok so I'll take out the Danios and do this on Thursday. I have to go buy some ammonia since it's not a regular thing here to keep under the sink. How many parts per gallon???

You don't have to fishless cycle that danio tank. Are you talking about starting the fishless cycle or keeping a tank cycled?

Keeping a tank cycled when there is no fish I think it is 1 ppm.

How long has your tank been cycling for already? What were your latest test readings?

Back
Top Bottom