Cycling my filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to know if I can cycle my filter in my 30 gal since its going to be a couple of days before I get the rest of my 75 up and running? Would that help move things along regarding cycling the whole tank?
Plz advise!!:D

Absolutely a good thing. If you have substrate already, put some in a mesh bag (AKA my GF's nylons here :)) and put it in the back if the same tank out of site. Just keep it all from drying out when transfering to new tank.

Good luck!

Media for my filter

What would be some good aditions to my XP3 regarding media that I can rinse and re-use. Want to keep things clean, but want to keep this economical to some degree.
Thanks!

I don't know that filter, but if it's anything like my AC 50 or Fusion 4 you can swap media at will for your tanks needs. One thing you do want are the "ceramic tubes or balls" that come with most filters. That's where most of the bacteria live.

i dont understand what exactly you are trying to do, you can place good bacteria in the tank but it will die if the tank has no ammonia to feed the good bacteria. so putting gravel or a filter from an established tank into a new tank is pointless without ammonia in it, something to think about.

doogle said:
i dont understand what exactly you are trying to do, you can place good bacteria in the tank but it will die if the tank has no ammonia to feed the good bacteria. so putting gravel or a filter from an established tank into a new tank is pointless without ammonia in it, something to think about.

That's why you use raw ammonia, fish food or a raw shrimp in a bare tank, because the bacteria isn't going to die in 5 minutes.

What he wants to do is pre stage a filter (etc) and use exisiting elements to create an instant cycled tank. Works fine if you have everything ready. I've done it 3 times in the last 2 months and the worst that happened was a mini cycle on the last one.

buy any media you can in bulk, and you can get creative with fiter pads and polishing fiber but it doesnt always work better, but you can save money that way and by reusing and rinsing media more often(you'll be rinsing more, im sure). also, zeolite is a good media for some applications and you can recharge it every now and then by soaking it in salty water overnight. it is supposed to regain 80% of its original absorbtion/retention capacity.

good bacteria will die if it dries out. .i currently am cycling a tank using bacteria additives to help cycle, along with fish(first time using bacteria from a bottle)and i will see how this product does. it states something like it has "dormant" bacteria, instead of 'live' bacteria?...this is very interesting to me, i will have to learn more about this dormant state of nitrifying bacterias and my opinion of the stability and life cycle of nitrifying bacteria may change. i am still learning about this and that so bear with my opinions, because they are just that.opinions...lol
-thanks Mr.Limpet
-doogle

Back
Top Bottom