Cycling new tank, filter failing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FISH-M0NK3Y

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, new to the forum, I've been learning a LOT from all the posts here and I'm looking for some advice on my new 29G tank. I got everything setup on Saturday, tested filter all ran good. I put in some Tetra SafeStart on Sunday. My Marineland Pengiun 200B filter was running fine the first 2 days. At some point Monday it stopped working. I took it apart, checked for any debris by the impeller and made sure it spun freely, all was good. I reseated everything and the filter started working. Again this morning the filter had stopped pumping. Each time the water level in the filter box was a couple inches lower than it should be. Again I fixed the filter by reseating everything.

So 2 questions...Do I have a bad filter pump or am I doing something to cause this?? And will the filter not pumping for these times affect my Tetra SafeStart or will it still continue to work?

Thanks!

Sounds like a faulty filter if there's nothing jamming up the impeller. No filter running will still your cycle since the filter media is where your bacteria colony grows at. So if there's no water flowing there's no continuous ammonia source for the bacteria to feed on.

I'd hit up Marineland if it's the start kit you got or anything for their products they will replace it for free....just maybe call them up or email them to find out more.

I figured it out. Each time it stopped working was a few hours after I had moved the filter box...trying to get things arranged in the new tank. My guess is I was slightly shifting the impeller off of where it needed to be (magnetically). Since I've stopped moving things, the filter has been running great. About 4 days now.

Back
Top Bottom