Cycling new tank with filters from existing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

watlings

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Darien, IL (South Western Chicago Suburbs)
So I am starting a new tank. I have an existing tank, but it isn't really practical for me to take substrate or used filter media from this tank, as it is much larger than my new tank, and I'm using sponge filters in it. What I did do, however, is I put the two (I always use two sponge filters in my tanks.. I know.. over-kill, but they are distributed over two pumps.. redundancy, etc) new filters for my new tank into the existing, cycled tank.

My question: How long do you think these filters should stay in the cycled tank before I transition them into the new tank? How long should I expect the biofilm / bacteria to take to build up on the new filter media?

Your way may take 3-4 weeks. Better and faster way is to take you media and squeeze it out into your new tank so all the bacteria will now get into the water and your new filter will suck it up and deposit that bacteria on your new media faster. Test show that this will work in 4-12 days.

Back
Top Bottom