cycling new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glene20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Iv just installed a aqua clear 50 filter on my new tank . . Iv added the ammonia to reach about 3-4 ppm . . Im going to leave the tank running for a few days but does anybody know how long it would take before the nitrites appear. Im going away for a week and just wondering would it be still okay or will the bacteria die by then?

What's your temp? Make sure you are 78F or even a little warmer. It will take a while -- several days to nearly a week or maybe more for the nitrite to appear. If for some reason you come home and nothing is happening you haven't really lost anything. If you don't have plants there is nothing else that i can think of that is going to do anything with the ammonia.

By the time you come back, I bet you'll be seeing some nitrites and a small ammonia drop. It's good you're going away now, later in the cycle you will have to constantly add ammonia daily as it drops.

Chances are that the ammonia will not drop quickly enough that it would starve while you were gone. Nitrites can take a while to show up, it took my 29's cycle SEVERAL weeks to get to that point.

You'll be fine for a week. It can take 1-2 weeks just for ammonia to start dropping; nitrites typically show up after that, in weeks 3-4. With any luck you'll find a nice ammonia drop when you get back!

Back
Top Bottom