Cycling problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've recently set up 2/30 gallons one for a small cichlid tank and one for qt/hospital, they have been set up for a week, I've added fish food to the tanks, but i still don't have any ammonia/nitrite/nitrates to Start the nitrogen cycle, Any idea on what i can do to boost the cycle as i have to get these cichlids out of their other tank due to its too small and they are getting really aggressive. Here's the starts of the cichlid tank not even close to being done with the decor.

The one piece of drift wood isn't in place as it is being held down until it sinks on its own, i have 2 other pieces of drift wood in their tank they are in now with slate i purchased to make caves etc etc

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1448354978795.jpg
    1448354978795.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 49
I went to the hardware store and got plain ammonia and got a bag of gunk from LFS as a starter. Between the two, 4ppm of ammonia processed through to nitrates in 24 hours at the end of a week and a half. You could try other methods as well, a mesh bag of frozen shrimp has been suggested and seems to work. The method you're using now will work and ends quite solidly. It takes time and a lot of patience, though.

If the filter on existing cichlid tank is cycled just move it and fish to new 30???
Run old and new filter together for a couple weeks.

Fish food will work eventually but is nearly impossible to predict or control.

Yeah but i have a new filter on the 30 gallon the tank they ate in now has 2 crappy cartridge filters, one has a bio wheel though so no place to put 2 other filters on the tank, plus i just learned a convict and mbunas aren't supposed to be together so now I'm trying to figure out what to do, grr i should have taken up knitting

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom