Cycling - question about air stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgodby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have a brand new 5 gallon tank that I am getting ready to cycle (I still have to purchase substrate and a heater). I have read a few articles on cycling, but have one quick question (I'm sure I'll think of more! :D)

I read that it is best to use an air-stone in order to provide oxygen for the bacteria. Is this something I can remove once the tank is cycled, or does it need to stay? I have a betta so this is why I ask.

Thanks!

Actually, I did think of one more question! I currently have a small bottle of Kordon AmQuel plus. I am using it in my current uncycled tank. It says it removes Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Chlorine, and Chloramines, but that it won't interfere with biological filtration or nitrifying bacteria. Is it safe to use this after my tank is cycled then? If not, any recommendations for a good water conditioner?

Last edited:
well, ive never used an air stone, and dont think theyre necessary. you dont want your tank to be sealed up, but as long as there is good surface agitation and plenty of air able to get to the water on top, you'll be fine. no need to spend money on an air pump and have the hideous bubbles in the tank imo. as far as water conditioners go, Prime is the best imo... it is super concentrated and only requires 5ml per 50g where most water conditioners require 5ml per 10g... it smells wierd, but its one of the most highly recommended to use.

Back
Top Bottom