Cycling question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caveman0777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I may sound like I don't know what I'm talking about and it's cause I don't. So here is the questions. when I do a fishless cycle for atleast month and add my fish, when I clean the tank do I need to redo the fishless cycle?

Once u r cycled that means u have the good bacteria u need and so u can add fish. No such thing as fish less w fish.

I meant like when I clean the tank after a while do I have to remove the fish to restart the cycling... I don't know how else to say it...

caveman0777 said:
I meant like when I clean the tank after a while do I have to remove the fish to restart the cycling... I don't know how else to say it...

No, once you're cycled that's it. Most of your BB is in the filter and on surfaces, not the water itself. When you do your weekly/biweekly pwc, you won't affect the BB.

BB= beneficial bacteria
Pwc= partial water change

caveman0777 said:

NEVER clean the tank once it's cycled!!! If you do regular 20% water changes your tank should be fine. Once the tank is cycled and the fish are in, they should stay in there. If you "clean" the tank you kill all the beneficial bacteria that grew during the cycling stage. Removing them by cleaning the tank would be counterproductive.

mau0101 said:
NEVER clean the tank once it's cycled!!! If you do regular 20% water changes your tank should be fine. Once the tank is cycled and the fish are in, they should stay in there. If you "clean" the tank you kill all the beneficial bacteria that grew during the cycling stage. Removing them by cleaning the tank would be counterproductive.

Eh? I am assuming by "never clean the tank" you mean rip it apart and sanitize it? I clean all my tanks once a week, it's called regular maintenance. 50% PWC, light substrate vac, clean the glass with Mag-Float, clean and inspect filters, media, hoses/piping and pumps.

The most important thing is to never allow your bio-media to dry out. Depending on your method of filtration and your filter type determines what your bio-media is.

blert said:
Eh? I am assuming by "never clean the tank" you mean rip it apart and sanitize it? I clean all my tanks once a week, it's called regular maintenance. 50% PWC, light substrate vac, clean the glass with Mag-Float, clean and inspect filters, media, hoses/piping and pumps.

The most important thing is to never allow your bio-media to dry out. Depending on your method of filtration and your filter type determines what your bio-media is.

Ha ha! Yes. Sorry should've explained better! What I meant is that you don't have to empty your tank and take the fish out to "clean" it. Regular gravel vac and water changes are the ways you clean a tank.
Sorry about the misunderstanding!

Back
Top Bottom