Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eeneryllek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a 29gal on Saturday using a bucket of water and a decoration from an established tank. Added 2 gouramis on Sunday. Tested water every day. Ammonia and nitrite have been 0 all week and nitrate has gone from 5 to 10 between Sunday and Thursday. Is it normal to not have ammonia or nitrite rise yet and to have nitrate already?

Thanks!!

Fish In Tank Cycling

I started a 29gal on Saturday using a bucket of water and a decoration from an established tank. Added 2 gouramis on Sunday. Tested water every day. Ammonia and nitrite have been 0 all week and nitrate has gone from 5 to 10 between Sunday and Thursday. Is it normal to not have ammonia or nitrite rise yet and to have nitrate already?

Thanks!!

Hello ee...

Water from an established tank won't do anything to cycle a new one. There's no surface area to support the beneficial bacteria. Decorations, gravel, driftwood and the like have a surface, so bacteria has a place to establish. Fish in tank cycling typically needs 2 to 3 fish for every 10 gallons of tank volume. I don't believe 2 fish will provide enough waste to start the nitrogen cycle. Get 2 or 3 more and that will get things going. I cycled my 30 G with 8 adult female guppies and the tank cycled in roughly 30 days.

Don't forget to plant the tank well. Floating plants are best. They'll help steady the water chemistry.

B

Thanks!!

Yeah, that can certainly happen. The more used decorations you add the better off you will be. I would rethink the two gouramis though. They have issues being around each other and will usually fight as they age.

Thanks! I'm heading out today to get some plants and a couple more fish.
I'm going to be slowly changing the gravel in my established tank, so I'm going to put some of it in a mesh bag and put it in the new tank to help get it going.

Almost 2 weeks in (Saturday) and I'm at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and about 5 nitrate.
Have 3 gourami, 2 green barbs and 3 plants.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom