cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it important to shift the gravel around when doing your pwc's? And does a bubble stone do anything to help cycling?

It is a good idea to clean the gravel when changing water. An air stone will keep the maximum amount of O2 in the water as possible. The bacteria like well oxygenated water.

You don't need to shift the gravel as much as just vacuum up fish waste and other excess tank material.

Air-stones help to agitate the surface promoting gas exchange but other than that doesn't really have an effect on cycling ... other than some more oxygen.

You don't really want to vacuum the gravel while you are cycling. That is where the nitrifying bacteria are trying to establish colonies (as well as in the sponge or floss of your filter)
here is a good link to doing water changes AFTER you have fish.
Aquarium Basics: Partial Water Changes - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

The only thing I saw in the article that I would do differently is that when you re-use the filter sponge or cartridge it says to rinse with a strong spray of water. To me that suggests rinsing it in the sink. I think it's best to rinse it in the bucket of "dirty" aquarium water from your water change. I use a cartridge so I just brush off both sides. I've been using the same cartridge for 3 months. I think most people keep using them until they kinda fall apart.
Air does help the cycle, the nitrifying bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate are aerobic bacteria.

I'm doing a fish in cycle. So if I don't vacuum the gravel the waste will just keep adding more and more ammonia right?

sorry. didn't know it was fish in. just vacuum random spots each time. If you can see waste then suck it up, but don't vacuum the whole floor every time.

Back
Top Bottom