Cycling something wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralocean

Aquarium Advice Freak
On January 5th I added pure ammonia (Ace Hardware) to 4ppm. Since then I added 2 year old driftwood from an established tank and 1 anubias plant.

I've been testing the water every few days. Today the readings are;

Ammonia 4ppm
Ph 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Temperature 84.2 F

Filter Marineland Penguin 200, I keep water level low enough to create lots of bubbles.

No changes since day 1, is the cycle stalled before it begins? :banghead:
Thanks in advance.

I think it takes a while to get going sometimes. I'm sure the ball will get rolling soon. Do you know anybody you could get a little seeded filter material from to get things kick started? That really helps speed things along.

How long have you been cycling? What is your GH and KH? I noticed with low or no KH the cycle will stall. Also add some fert traces.

How long have you been cycling? What is your GH and KH? I noticed with low or no KH the cycle will stall. Also add some fert traces.
Started cycling Jan 5th. I have not tested GH or KH. I assume the water is hard due to the calcium deposit issue we have always had here.

Sometimes it takes a min to get going. Your temp is good. Just test in a few days. First test for nitrites. You will be good in a bit.

On January 5th I added pure ammonia (Ace Hardware) to 4ppm. Since then I added 2 year old driftwood from an established tank and 1 anubias plant.

I've been testing the water every few days. Today the readings are;

Ammonia 4ppm
Ph 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Temperature 84.2 F

Filter Marineland Penguin 200, I keep water level low enough to create lots of bubbles.

No changes since day 1, is the cycle stalled before it begins? :banghead:
Thanks in advance.
The ammonia is pretty high. Sometimes that stalls the cycle. I'd try doing a 20% water change every day and check your water parameters at the beginning of every day until that ammonia is down to about 1 maybe 2 ppm. If you can't bring it down go with two 20% water changes a day. Give it 4-6 hours between water changes.

I have cycled all of my tanks at 4ppm. I really doubt that is an issue. It's only been 3 weeks. usually they start showing progress by now but not always. Dropping the temp may get a higher oxygen content which may help get things moving.

Ok..it's been almost a month since I started the ammonia cycle. I did get a bag of aquarium gravel from an established tank and hung it next to the filter outflow. I did a pwc and got the ammonia down to 2ppm (6 days ago.) Per the advice I dropped the temp to 78 degrees (6 days ago). It seems things have not begun yet. I am willing to be patient, could this take another month to start moving or should I do something different? Thanks!

Ammonia 2ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 7.6
Temp 78F
I use Prime when topping off for evaporation.

Coral
Back in the day, fishless tank cycling was not heard of. My friends and I accidently cycled our tanks with Zebra Danios, Black Mollies and Guppies. During many of my accidental tank cycling events, I remember the livebearers occasionally gave birth and I don't remember many losses. There was no such thing as water testing kits, and our filtration systems can only be described as primative . My point being, "Fish in" tank cycling is not cruel. Certain fish can tolorate low levels of ammonia and nitrite with no ill effects. All it takes to be successful is a few hardy fish, careful feeding, a couple of small WC's a week and patience.
The first time I ever heard of a fishless cycle, it was done by dropping a chunk of bait shrimp in an aquarium and letting it rot. After 5 or 6 weeks vac up the remains, do a WC and there you go. It seems the current method you are using is extremely taxing and IMO not necessary.
My suggestion is obviously "Fish In" or if you have a friend with an established tank, "instant cycle" your power filter with borrowed filter media.

Coral
Back in the day, fishless tank cycling was not heard of. My friends and I accidently cycled our tanks with Zebra Danios, Black Mollies and Guppies. During many of my accidental tank cycling events, I remember the livebearers occasionally gave birth and I don't remember many losses. There was no such thing as water testing kits, and our filtration systems can only be described as primative . My point being, "Fish in" tank cycling is not cruel. Certain fish can tolorate low levels of ammonia and nitrite with no ill effects. All it takes to be successful is a few hardy fish, careful feeding, a couple of small WC's a week and patience.
The first time I ever heard of a fishless cycle, it was done by dropping a chunk of bait shrimp in an aquarium and letting it rot. After 5 or 6 weeks vac up the remains, do a WC and there you go. It seems the current method you are using is extremely taxing and IMO not necessary.
My suggestion is obviously "Fish In" or if you have a friend with an established tank, "instant cycle" your power filter with borrowed filter media.
Thanks for the reply, I am returning to the hobby after many years.In the past I simply set up the tank then added fish. I changed the water regularly but like you said there were no test kits. Surprisingly I had very few losses over several years.
I am considering draining the tank and doing a fish in cycle. So many on the forum have had success with the pure ammonia method so thought I would try it. I have asked for established filter media and none of the lfs will give any.

That's what I would do. I really wouldn't worry too much about testing the water. Carefully stock, feed and do a couple of small water changes a week. The tank should be up and running in about a month. I wonder if the water testing kit companies are the source behind the fishless cycle craze. I'm sure they are making big bucks.

Coral is correct IMO. I don't see anything wrong with a fish in cycle. A fishless cycle can take a month or two from what I've heard. If you continue this route maybe try raising the ammonia again. To 4 ppm and keep the temp the same then wait. I've never tried the pure ammonia method. I just use fish flakes or pellets to get the ammonia. Sorry to hear this cycle is giving you hell.

Back
Top Bottom