cycling tank for first time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Son1cbo0m

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i just aquired a new tank, my previous tank was ready matured...
so this is my first time, i've filled it, planted it etc... but i can't seem to find any ammonia in my stores?

Anybody from the UK know of any products that work? ... even if i can buy it online it would be great!

Just use a part of old filter media from your establish tank, its cheap and very fast!! Maybe two week would be ok for a full cycle that way!
Put little bit of food to start ammonia production!

Regards,
Aquamania

what about ammonia tho? ... surely my bacteria will starve?

Although many suggest against it, you could always do it with fish. In my personal experience, it works great. Swordtails, zebra danios, bronze cories... all great.

In the UK I know of 2 brands people use...one is called Jayes Kleen-off, and the other is from Boots (?). You can also use a raw shrimp or a mesh bag of fish food.

If the seeded media is well established, you can also stock extremely slowly, constantly monitoring toxins and doing pwc's as needed...or if you go fishless it will give you a great head start. Just make sure you are feeding the bacteria in the filter an ammonia source of one type or another.

zooking12 said:
Although many suggest against it, you could always do it with fish. In my personal experience, it works great. Swordtails, zebra danios, bronze cories... all great.

There's nothing wrong with doing a fish in cycle if it is done responsibly and correctly (with very slow and light stocking, constant testing and water changes as needed to keep toxins as low as possible until the tank is cycled). However, if you choose this route and do it with commitment to the health of your fish...there is no need to use specific "hardy" fish for that purpose. That's kind of an old school method which normally involves sacrificing a few cheap fish for the sake of cycling your tank.

Check out both the statement and also the link in my signature...weigh your options, learn all that is involved with both processes and decide what is best for you ;). Good luck.

Son1cbo0m said:
i cant seem to find jayes kleen off anywhere!

what about this stuff?
500ml Max / Buster Household Strong Ammonia | eBay

Yeah i got a Boots near me, not sure what i'd find tho lol

I've never heard of that brand, and unfortunately it's going to be hard to tell if it's pure until it gets to your house. You could do a bit of research online and see if others have used it successfully for fishless cycling.

I'm not sure if you want to (or if you can) order from the US, but I did find this online-
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1716/ProLine-Ammonium-Chloride

Son1cbo0m said:

Huh...seems good since it says its for starting the nitrogen cycle in aquariums. It seems that one is a powder instead of the normally used liquid form. I've heard of the powder but never used it. I guess it'd just take some experimentation to find out how much to use.

I'd check Boots first...I know that stuff is good and it'd probably be easier to dose a specific amount.

Son1cbo0m said:
sorry to be a pain

Boots Household ammonia - 500ml - Boots

says "active ingredients... ammonia..."

jackpot right???

Looks like it to me :). When you get it just read the fine print to be sure and give it a good shake to make sure it doesn't foam...but I think it's good to go. I'll have to bookmark that site for others in the UK looking for the pure stuff.

(Funny they mention it for laundry...not sure I'd soak my clothes in ammonia, lol)

Back
Top Bottom