Cycling time? Thoughts....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well im in the process of cycling my 125gal, i have:

Live Rock = 150lbs (give or take tank is FULL)
3-4" LS

How long do the cycles usually take on average? Some say a couple weeks, some say a month.....From your experiences how long should mine take? This is a resetup and rock and sand are from old tank that i scubbed and washed the LR and LS. They have not been used for about 2 years.

TIA

Hard to say how long the cycle will take, you will only know by testing the water in the tank. My 75G took about 6 weeks and I scrubbed the LR prior to use. I did not use LS.

I doubt the sand is live if it's been sitting around for 2 years, and you may not have much die off from the rock. I would suggest 1 raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp per 30 gallons for an ammonia source.
I agree with Mt, there is no true time for a cycle, it could be quick or take up to 6 weeks.
Do you have test kits?

Thanks alot guys! Its been a long time since i have had the tank setup, and jusdt wanted to get an idea for cycle time. My LR will have some die off im sure even though its not been used for a while. I scrubbed it as good as i could now im just waiting on new BulkHeads to arrive to setup the sump. TIA

Understand the cycle process and test the water. No way around it. It's not about "time" as it is about "method". Forget the time gauge. Test for ammonia and nitrite.

API saltwater maters test kit is a good starting point.

Back
Top Bottom