cycling update on the 150g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so 2 weeks into cycling my 150 that I seeded with some media from one of my established tanks I can dose to 4-5 ppm ammonia daily, and come home 24 hrs later to a 0 reading, I am also seeing close to 10 ppm nitrates. The problem is my nitrites are off the charts!! How long will it be until that spike subsides? It seems like all the guides ive read breeze through the nitrite spike phase saying they will taper off and you will see the nitrates and everything else at zero. The nitrite readings have been going on for close to 5 days now.

Just wondering if I should do a water change or continue.to let it ride til the nitrate spike?

Stop dosing ammonia for the next couple of days. If nothing changes with your numbers, then it's time for a big wc to drop your nitrites down to a readable level (1 or less) then a low dose of amm (1ppm) until things catch up. Very high nitrite levels can slow or stall a cycle. Keep us posted! :)

Well came last night and was down to about 5ppm nitrite and up to 80ppm nitrate. I did a 75% water change and this afternoon it seems all I'm able to have achieved was 2-3% Nitrite still around 80, though slightly upwards of that, percent nitrate. It looks like the cycle is winding down, but how did that water change not get the levels more manageable?!

Can I ask what your using to test your levels? The api test has a limit of 5ppm nitrite. Have you tested you tap for nitrate? If your nitrate levels didnt drop after the wc, you either tested incorrectly prior/after the wc or your tap has very high nitrates. High nitrate levels are not concerning at this point in time & will be addressed prior to purchasing fish.

Using the API master test kit. This is not my.first tank my tap water does not have high nitrates, tap water is 0 nitrates/nitrites

Sorry my first post today was unclear. After a 75% water change last night I.dropped nitrites to a readable lvl, around 2-3% NitrAtes however are on the high side of 80 ppm. This is a drop in nitrites, but almost no.change in Nitrates. This is not my first tank, just first one of.this size. I know my tap water parameters, and it does not.contain nitrate or nitrites. Perhaps I messed up the test this afternoon, when o get home I.will retest and see where I.stand.

Pipedreamer86 said:
Sorry my first post today was unclear. After a 75% water change last night I.dropped nitrites to a readable lvl, around 2-3% NitrAtes however are on the high side of 80 ppm. This is a drop in nitrites, but almost no.change in Nitrates. This is not my first tank, just first one of.this size. I know my tap water parameters, and it does not.contain nitrate or nitrites. Perhaps I messed up the test this afternoon, when o get home I.will retest and see where I.stand.

It wouldn't hurt to test your tap again unless you tested recently, I'm pretty sure I remember other members here saying tap water params can fluctuate or even change. Just a thought though :)

Back
Top Bottom