cycling with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nibor

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the current thought on this? I have always started off my tanks with a fish or two and rarely had a problem.

I set up my tank the other day and let it go for about 24 hours or so, making sure I had a good temp, the tank didn't leak, filters and everything else was in working order, etc...then added three mollies. Two are happily swimming around the tank and having fun in their new home. One had problems right away. She imediately went nose down and hid. I put her in the breeder so I could keep tabs on her, and she was dead when we woke up this morning. :(

I took her back and the lady was kinda rude about me "just putting water in the tank and throwing in some fish."

So, what is the story? I know people do it either way. I don't think the water killed her given the other two are just fine and show no signs of stress.

I think it's a bad idea. Why put the fish through the stress and health damage when you don't have to? Use pure ammonia or raw fish/shrimp. It's not going to hurt anything living, it's cheap, easy, and works. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I added the conditoner and had he store test the water. It is a new tank, so things are just getting going. I did google and read a bit before I set this tank up.

I talked to the guy last night and he seemed to know what he was talking about. We talked about what would be good fish to cycle with and even explained to my daughter why it would not be a good idea to get the bottom feeder she wanted right away.

I think it was this particular fish given that I never had any issue in the past (and I have had as many as five tanks going on- not ncluding fry tanks) and the others are doing fine. I do usually start off with just a betta, though. Those suckers are hard to kill!

The one that died on me was swimming nose down, which Dr Google said was either constipation or swim bladder issues.

Back
Top Bottom