Cycling with shrimp ? ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi fellow fishies,
I am new to the whole shrimp thing. I've got 2 cycled fish tanks, if I take media from all filters and use tank water ( only have 25 Ltr tank for shrimp), can I put the shrimp straight in the tank, or are they hardy enough to go into a un- cycled tank.
Any tips and hints would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Instant Tank Cycling

Hi fellow fishies,
I am new to the whole shrimp thing. I've got 2 cycled fish tanks, if I take media from all filters and use tank water ( only have 25 Ltr tank for shrimp), can I put the shrimp straight in the tank, or are they hardy enough to go into a un- cycled tank.
Any tips and hints would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hello ant...

You can instantly cycle a new tank by removing half the media from a cycled tank and putting it into the new tank. However, the cycled tank must be as large or larger. Introduce the fish or whatever into the new tank slowly. You don't want to add more waste to the new tank than the good bacteria can handle.

You will need to replace the media you removed from the cycled tank. Just rinse it in some treated replacement water. I keep a bucket of it on hand for things like this. The bacteria regrows quickly, so you won't need to worry about a nitrogen spike.

B

Thanks B, I wasn't sure if you could put shrimp into a tank that was cycled or not. I have plenty of media with BB, so hopefully all will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom